SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What's your favourite time to observe?

MickyWay

Living in a light polluted area, I find the best time to observe or image is between 2.00am and dawn. The air seems to be clearer,

and the turbulance of cloud much less obvious. Or maybe it's because most people are asleep and you feel you have the world

and the sky to yourself.

post-16403-133877460996_thumb.jpg

Living in a light polluted area, I find the best time to observe or image is between 2.00am and dawn. The air seems to be clearer,

and the turbulance of cloud much less obvious. Or maybe it's because most people are asleep and you feel you have the world

and the sky to yourself.

I agree 100%. My fav time is the hours just be before dawn. Lovely photo btw.

I would say dusk, as I really like the Moon when it's full, twinned with the Moon illusion effect and that only comes around at dusk or dawn I suppose.. But I prefer dusk as it's the start of a night's observing, not the end.

I would have to go with the hours before sunrise. The air has cooled and is still(ish), giving clearer views than the evening, and there are fewer annoying people walking past saying things like "are you looking at something up there?"

Anytime that condtions allow really, but the wee small hours, just after dark o'clock are best. And catching Saturn in the brightening morning sky just before the dawn chorus starts, with a brilliant ISS passing overhead.............

I Wouldnt mind seeing just something right now

here is our skies at the front of the house

its been like this now since buying the bino's and scope ;o(

Venus is there in one of the lights bits in the sky.

I Was looking for the ISS.

pic taken 10.20 last night 6th july

I Really need to move to the country.

Chez

a>

a>

15mybk0.jpg

Dead of winter around 10:30-01:00. Not too late for work the next day but plent of goodies to see

Thats the beauty of winter, being able to get some good observing in without being knackered for work. Even early starts needn't be mega early. Get up 5am and still get a few hours worth.

Due to work and early mornings the evenings are the only time I get. It helps to set all the gear up in the semi light before it gets really dark. Unfortunatly it means that the summer months are virtually no good for me. Fortunatly I live in a small village so I dont get hassled by kids...only neighbours wanting to have a look ;)

Lately (before the summer) i discovered that the couple of hours before dawn offer the best conditions to observe. The air is calmer and has cooled down sufficiently enough to almost eliminate any "boiling". But more then that, as stated above.............there is just something so peaceful and you feel like you are the only person on the planet.

Apart from those 2 hrs....i love the alnighters that autumn and winter allow. During the winter (weather permitting) i go out about 7pm and i stay out til maybe 3-4am.

There are two times that I find the best from Sandown:

Around 01:00 to about 3:30 will get the best out of the IOW sky and it is peaceful, But the times I go out really depends on what I am after. Venus and Mercury are best to look at the second the sun has fallen below the horizon.

Around mid morning is also good for sitting with the PST and watching the sun boil whilst sipping something cool.

Archived