Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scientists Reveal: The Day When We'll All Die - journos err again.

SteelRat

Today on Yahoo News;

"Scientists have calculated the year when the human race will cease to exist. It will be October 31, otherwise known as Halloween. But there is no need to worry yet as the year is 2,252,006 - more than two-and-a-quarter million years from now. The date was announced by a team of European geologists and palaeontologists after millions of fossils from central Spain were analysed. It confirms suspicions that mammal species have an average lifespan of 2.5 million years and modern man has already been around for 250,000 years. The reason for the life cycle is thought to be a blip in the Earth's orbit which means it does not get as close to the sun as usual, triggering rapid cooling.

A report in Nature Journal says the subsequent ice age would destroy all human life"

The journo obviously missed a few points - our having moved house for one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats strange cause I worked it out as november 5th.

They are just asking for trouble ebing that specific. What's wrong with saying there is a blip in the earth's orbit every 2.5million years. So they could say that in 2.25 million years we are going to get a little cold.

Instead October 31st around tea time... :rolleyes:

Ant

Hmmm I seem to remember that the Mayan Indians forecast that the end of the current era of mankind would happen on 26 October this year. I await the event with some trepidation, especially as I have just bought my first scope and have only been able to use it once thanks to the :D and :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind if it WAS this october - just as long as it was just the end of NEARLY :rolleyes: all of mankind, leaving us lot, our families, friends and just enough to maintain a decent gene :D I mean there's WAY TOO many people in the world... livin longer, reckin the joint and STILL going forth and MULTIPLYING, MULTIPLYING MULTIPLYING!!! We are reaching the stage where we really do need to shed some of the load, and the report (no matter HOW blonde it is) at least gives me the hope that these things kind've have a tendancy to sort themselves out. Phew!... rant over.

Will keep my fingers crossed for some clear nights for the rest of the month so ZOG can get some use out of the scope :D

Hmmm I seem to remember that the Mayan Indians forecast that the end of the current era of mankind would happen on 26 October this year. I await the event with some trepidation, especially as I have just bought my first scope and have only been able to use it once thanks to the :D and :rolleyes:

I dunno. I wanna see the transit of Mercury. That's on November 8th. I don't think I'll worry about predictions from a society which hadn't invented the wheel. Or whisky.

I dunno. I wanna see the transit of Mercury. That's on November 8th. I don't think I'll worry about predictions from a society which hadn't invented the wheel. Or whisky.

Thats weird WH, you see the Mayans invented a calendar that is still more accurate than anything we have today, and it was carved on a.......you guessed it, a stone WHEEL

Thats weird WH, you see the Mayans invented a calendar that is still more accurate than anything we have today, and it was carved on a.......you guessed it, a stone WHEEL

They made round platters out of silver and gold, too, but they didn't put axles in them and use them to go grocery shopping, did they?

God knows what they did WH but their buildings were put together with the same kind of precision as the Egyptians, and, archeologists discovered when they lifted a stone from a wall that there were bronze rivets holding the stones together, thousands of years before bronze was thought to have been used. There's a lot of technology in these ancient civilisations that we just dont understand, and will probably remain a secret.

God knows what they did WH but their buildings were put together with the same kind of precision as the Egyptians, and, archeologists discovered when they lifted a stone from a wall that there were bronze rivets holding the stones together, thousands of years before bronze was thought to have been used. There's a lot of technology in these ancient civilisations that we just dont understand, and will probably remain a secret.

OK, OK, I was just pullin' yer chain, eh? :rolleyes: Actually, West Coast indian lodges were as well built as their counterparts in Scandinavian countries. Besides, the Aztecs had help from the flying saucer guys, don't you read Von Daniken?

Right guys, a bit of help here with a thought that I had if you please.

Very old buildings such as pyramids and the like have extremely close fitting joints. I wonder how much daily temperature cycling would make the stones grow and shrink differently (top ones get more sun and cool more at night) such that they rub against one another enough to wear off the high spots? Kind of like "running in" a bearing?

Captain Chaos

Point taken CC, apparently the pyramids at Giza were covered with highly polished limestone for years which would have reflected the sunlight away. This was mostly looted by the arabs in later years and used to make their tombs. Its an undeniable fact that the Giza pyramids are aligned with constellations and there's a wealth of info on the net about it. One thing that did set me thinking was a guy on the radio who reckoned that if the pyramids had been completed in the time claimed, then those huge blocks of stone would have been laid at the rate of 1 every 90 seconds. Like I said before, the technology used was amazing for the time. We keep looking to the future when we dont really fully understand the past.

Archived