Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eagle Nebula, M16

lukebl

Hello there,

This is my first outing with my new canon 450d (unmodded), taken at prime focus on my 200 f/5 Newt, and my first attempt at M16. I’d welcome any constructive criticism! Quite pleased to see whisps of nebulosity stretching out right across the field of the high-res image, particularly for an unmodded camera. Shame we can never really see this one under properly dark skies here in the UK.

18 x 300s exposures + Darks, Flats

ISO 800

Skywatcher f/5 200P

PHD Guiding, using spc900 webcam on f/5 ST80

Full frame (I prefer this type of view, as it shows the nebula in its context and I feel that you get a greater sense of depth):

m16_2010_07_05c.jpg

Enlargement:

m16_2010_07_05d.jpg

Incidentally, I had a bit of a problem after fitting my new Skywatcher Crayford focuser. I found that I just couldn't get it collimated, till I found out that the focuser wasn't focusing on the centre of the secondary. Basically, I think the tube isn't perfectly round, so that the focuser doesn't point directly to the centre of the tube. I put a little spacer on one side of the focus mount and that seems to have corrected it. Anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks.

Here's another version with the colours more muted, which I think looks more natural. I think I might have overdone the contrast on the earlier ones.

m16_2010_07_05e.jpg

Enlargement:

m16_2010_07_05f.jpg

Added a few more subs from an aborted imaging session a couple of days ago, and I think I've teased a little more out of the image. Trouble is, you can just see a satellite trail crossing the nebula.

m16_2010_07_05g.jpg

Lovely, particularly your second widefield; how many subs in the end?

Your image gives us unmodded DSLR users great encouragement and hope ;)

The main widefield was 18 x 5 minute subs, plus 20 x 5 minute darks, plus about 10 flats. Only one evening's session. I added another 6 x 4 min ones for the last image. If I could be bothered I'd add a few more evening's-worth of images, but M16 only has a narrow observing window (from my location anyway)

Many thanks, anyway, and I am pleased with the level of detail which has come out. I've seen a few threads here with people wanting to run off and have their camera modded immediately, when it is possible to take satisfying images with an unmodded camera. Admittedly, some of the nebulae might be out of reach, but you get pleasing stuff all the same.

Mind you, looking at some of the fantastic images that people on this forum can achieve with a dedicated astro CCDs, I've often been tempted to just give up. But at the end of the day it's about personal satisfaction and feeling that you've learnt and explored something, and I certainly feel that!

The main widefield was 18 x 5 minute subs, plus 20 x 5 minute darks, plus about 10 flats. Only one evening's session. I added another 6 x 4 min ones for the last image. If I could be bothered I'd add a few more evening's-worth of images, but M16 only has a narrow observing window (from my location anyway)

Many thanks, anyway, and I am pleased with the level of detail which has come out. I've seen a few threads here with people wanting to run off and have their camera modded immediately, when it is possible to take satisfying images with an unmodded camera. Admittedly, some of the nebulae might be out of reach, but you get pleasing stuff all the same.

Mind you, looking at some of the fantastic images that people on this forum can achieve with a dedicated astro CCDs, I've often been tempted to just give up. But at the end of the day it's about personal satisfaction and feeling that you've learnt and explored something, and I certainly feel that!

It's an amazing result! And a great achievement!

A DSLR is just a lot more within reach for the most of us. As you can buy a good DSLR, like the Canon 1000D these days for less than 300 euro.

While a dedicated CCD camera with a resonable sensor/pixels will quickly go beyond 1000 euro! And then we are just talking about the camera. Not even about the filters and filter wheel.

That's a lot of money and you have to be dead serious about Astro Photography, when you are going to fork out that amount of cash.

With an unmodded 1000D. If you decide to bail out. Then you still have a superior camera for daytime use ! ;)

Archived