SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSO Filter

Hi All,

I have a small budget for the purchase of one good filter for enhanced dso viewing.

Could I get a consensus form you guys and girls, on which would be the best all-round filter for dso's (if there is a good all-rounder)

Thanks.

Hi there

I have just bought a 2" Castell Oiii filter. This was £48 delivered from 365 Astronomy.

This is the first 'proper' filter I have ever bought and although I'll do a mini review shortly my comments would be as follows:

• excellent value for money
  • construction of cell very robust
  • coatings seem smooth and well applied
  • quite harsh and reduces light tremendously/turns stars green
  • however, looking at the light pass results on the site and confirmed by my single experience last night, you can still see enough stars to be guided a little so it's not as harsh a some.
  • makes focusing a little tricky - focus on stars rather than the DSO
  • in my light polluted skies - pretty much as poor as it gets (I live between Manchester and Stockport) - I could not see even a hint of the Veil nebula with my 12" dob. Putting the filter in (even with the current light skies - although I waited until Cygnus was at Zenith) made it possible to easily see the Bridal Veil and the Witches Broom with no problem.

On the basis of this one, I'd recommend you consider Castell products as a cost effective way to buy DSO filters. I think the UHC filter would be a better all round one as it's less harsh. At this price though, buying both is not too out of reach for many people.

good luck.

No worries John - I haven't yet but follow the thread on my review http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/108143-review-castell-2-oiii-filter.html

I have just made a promise on that thread to try it soon. I'll report back view the other thread then.

I actually suspect from comments that the filter is not as fierce as others and this may help the refractor (I hope!).

Archived