SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

what is your favorite history or science subject to watch on tv?

I spend half of my tv viewing watching the Discovery channels. It could be space related, Industrial Revelations and everything in between. I read a lot of criminal profiling books, FBI profiler John Douglas is a fav at the moment

I have to say, the most captivating science related dramatised Biopic I ever watched, was Longitude. The extremely well acted, and I might hope, with a lot of truth, story of John Harrison, who produced the accurate timepiece that enable Longitude to be calculated at sea.

He suffered at the hands of politicians and Astronomers alike in his quest. Finally got the reward promised by Parliament, but only after the intervention of King George III.

A brilliant true story, and the book is great too.

Ron.;)

The recent Wonders of the Solar System bored me to death, but take something like Carl Sagan's epic Cosmos series - genuinely interesting and packed full of content you can learn from.

However, I also love Mythbusters ;)

mainly any science, science fiction or nature programmes, but then I also like a laugh at men behaving badly, life of Tim, Ab Fab to break up the seriousness. V 2010 was superb, can't wait for series 2. Doctor who has been ok.

I absolutely never watch any soaps, big brother, life of a celeb, prancing celeb, skating celeb, find a new celeb or award a celeb for being an overpaid celeb programmes.....unless it's Kylie! :);)

I've stopped watching TV a couple of years ago but I catch up with some interesting programs on iPlayer, the most recent 'Wonders of the Solar System' (Brian Cox) and 'MEDICAL MAVERICKS' and 'History of Science' (Dr Michael Mosley).

Generally speaking, I enjoy watching anything that has the history of Leonardo da Vinci up to the Scientists & Philosphers of the Renaissance and Illuminism.

My favourite at the moment is pretty much anything to do with the LHC & CERN

The programs on it do get a bit repetitive as there is only so much you can say about it at the moment, although I watched a cracker the other day explaining the engineering problems of getting the detectors installed that was fascinating

I watch very little telly, it literally makes me fall asleep. But i normally make a b-line for More 4, the Discovery Channel or History Channel if i do. Fav progs are Time Team (so wish i gone into that field), anything with WWII history theme, top gear, S@N and that's about it. This may seem strange for someone so hooked on astronomy all his life but i hate really deep hard going big bang theory stuff. Sooner watch Eastenders and slit my wrists than sit through that stuff.

• 1 month later...

All my TV viewing is hand picked on the internet and I tend to find the histories of those that have made the big breakthroughs more riveting than those that deal with only the subjects. For example one that really inspired me was a profile of Cantor and Boltzmann. I am in awe of the people who brought us to where we are today, those that took leaps of thinking so vast they are almost beyond my comprehension even when explained in detail.

The docs like the recent 'Wonders of the Solar System' are to me verging on tedious but it has to be said the brilliant "Cosmos" is now about 30 years old and programs for the younger generations are sorely needed. One thing I would say is that the "Sky at Night" has to look again at Patrick's recent sidekick as, in spite of any merit he may have as an academic, he is so nerdy and uncool - and this matters in modern media culture - that he will scare away more potential viewers than he will attract.

• 2 months later...

I'm more of a politics of science person, especially when it comes to space policy, but then this is a rarity on television unless you watch the news - which is still a rarity! I love watching astronomy-related programmes, especially if Michio Kaku is involved. That guy must have an amazing brain and I love listening to him, despite not understanding him for some of the time but hey, he's a genius!

One thing I would say is that the "Sky at Night" has to look again at Patrick's recent sidekick as, in spite of any merit he may have as an academic, he is so nerdy and uncool - and this matters in modern media culture - that he will scare away more potential viewers than he will attract.

Would that be our Paul then??? :eek:

After coming 33rd equal out of a school class of 34, it had to be History! But I am particularly interested in Ancient Egypt and also the "dark" through medieval ages here. I like some of the "Henrys/Edwards" - Also Elizabeth I. Despite the efforts of Blackadder, the "Regency" leaves me a bit cold though. :eek:

• 1 month later...

I agree with Shibby wonders of the solar system was boring,i am getting the cosmos by carl sagan so i am looking forward to that,also the TTC lectures are excellent if anyone can get a dvd of them its well worth watching.

I agree with Shibby wonders of the solar system was boring,i am getting the cosmos by carl sagan so i am looking forward to that,also the TTC lectures are excellent if anyone can get a dvd of them its well worth watching.

Just got that last week, think it was £12 off amazon, five discs as well, bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

Like other posters here I watch very little tv, my favourite science prorgramme has to be Horizon, been watching it for a good few years and it always throws up a few excellent episodes on astronomy and the workings of the cosmos.:(

Alan

I don't get much time for TV anymore and we don't have Sky as there was just too much rubbish to warrant the $45 a month for it. TVNZ run some good documentries especially on 7. My favourite at the moment are the ones to do with the LHC and the various fields of science surrounding that (just read Massive which is a good summary of where things are at at the moment). The Apollo program also captivates me so any historical docos on the moon landings I watch as well.:(

Archived