1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

USB devices?

I've plugged in my DMK and run both PHD and IC capture (obviously not at the same time), and it runs fine...

If I plug anything else in (EQDIR, SX Filter wheel, H9) the software that is running the DMK stops working - the screen freezes. When I remove the items it un freezes and carries on...

Is there settings that can prevent this?

Cheers

Ant

I've found a way to get back 20%...

Start-->Run-->type gpedit.msc

Local Computer Policy

-->Computer Configuration

-->Administrative Templates

-->Network

-->QOS Packet Scheduler

-->Limit Reservable Bandwidth

Enable reserve bandwidth and set to zero.

This increases the bandwidth from 10% to 12%, doesn't sound much but it got me going for a little while.

Ant

Am pretty sure that the qos is for network traffic (ethernet, wifi, firewire) and won't affect usb traffic at all.

The short version is that your usb devices shouldn't lock up when you add other usb devices, so i think there may be a bigger inherent issue at play here.....

Am pretty sure that the qos is for network traffic (ethernet, wifi, firewire) and won't affect usb traffic at all.

The short version is that your usb devices shouldn't lock up when you add other usb devices, so i think there may be a bigger inherent issue at play here.....

I would say power too, if its a hub it needs to be powered, if its directly into your computer then it could be there is a cheap PSU fitted. If you are feeding this all to a main computer over a network from a client then the bandwidth may come into place in which case a Gigabit switch and network cards will help too, 100mb network will for example struggle with High Def Movies causing stuttering whereas a Gigabit network will be fine.

Edited by MarkF

I would agree with BeyondVision. In my experience people overload an unpowered USB hub and wonder why things stopo working when they have a few thing plugged in. If these are plugged direct to your PC then this is a much bigger problem. Could be your PSU, a fauly Mobo or faulty USB socket shorting when the power load rises.

Yep it's a powered hub.

The DMK was plugged straight into the laptop, everything else to the powered hub - it wasn't consistant, sometimes it was OK untill the last usb device was plugged in, sometimes it froze when the first one was plugged in - it even froze when the mount was plugged in... That doesn't even draw power as it comes from the mount I beleive.

I'm going to have to think about a new laptop I think... Or maybe move to planetary imaging - only need the dmk and filter wheel then.

Cheers

Ant

Hmmm, that sounds more like a software conflict then could be lots of things memory, graphic, hard to trouble shoot, try plugging in at different combinations. If you can get hold of another computer/laptop and see if it all runs on that okay it would rule out one of the devices/software issues at least. Or if you have enough USB ports on the laptop avoid the hub and see if that is causing issues, one USB port still only has a finite amount of bandwidth.

My favourite solution is reformat and reinstall your operating system, fresh start can rule out those gremlins that other programs leave behind when you uninstall them. Grab CCleaner - Download and clean your registry up, that may help.

Edited by MarkF

Cheers for the replies... I've tried having them all plugged in before start up.

I've tried different orders...

I've (recently) formatted and reinstalled the OS

I regularly run Regcure, Malwarebytes, avg and various other "nasties remover".

I do think that there are other issues here... The laptop gets VERY hot, and I mean VERY VERY hot. I get the blue screen of death every now and then - which can mean graphics card, memory or HDD failure I beleive.

So I've given in and bought a new laptop - but it meant that I had to buy a new TV as well ;)

I hope everything works with win7

So I'm well over a grand down - if it doesn't work, I'm taking up planetary imaging...

Ant

If its running really hot and BSOD the CPU is probably overheating, job done, i hope your new Laptop works. The final test you can perform on your old laptop is to Demagnetise it - point it north and hit it with a firking big hammer that will sort the problem out for sure. ;)

Nice idea Mark.

I had a lappie that suffered from overheating and BSOD, turned out the battery was fried and was putting out too much heat. Took the battery off and ran it from the mains adapter and it worked like a charm.

6 years later its still working, I hope Ant, that that isnt what your one has suffered from, especially now as you've parted with a grand.

Welcome to Win7 though. I love it.

Edited by simon84

Nice idea Mark.

I had a lappie that suffered from overheating and BSOD, turned out the battery was fried and was putting out too much heat. Took the battery off and ran it from the mains adapter and it worked like a charm.

6 years later its still working, I hope Ant, that that isnt what your one has suffered from, especially now as you've parted with a grand.

Welcome to Win7 though. I love it.

Now you say that Simon I had a Compaq with a knackered battery and the keyboard was a bit intermittent, turns out the lappy was polling the battery to charge it every so many nano seconds, took the battery out and it worked a treat just plugged in the mains.

Those batteries are the cause of many problems and the symptoms often look like a knackered CPU.

When my one first started to go it would start up fine but you couldnt use the mouse pad or keyboard. After much mucking around eventually figured out the battery was overheating which caused the CPU to look like it was failing.

So far I've installed everything onto the new laptop and with the exception of registax5, everything went on ok.

A warning for Registax 5 popped up saying it may not have installed correctly... but appears to have installed OK.

I don't think I've missed anything, so next night I'm at home (tomorrow) I'll start plugging things in and make sure :)

I haven't forgotten you Simon, honest!!! - I will reply ;)

Cheers

Ant

The other option for running, is a knackered cooling fan, and on a lappy that means a mobo replacement... happened to me... I run a temperature proggy to watch for it. Although I'd have to say it still runs hot, even when the fans are working...

currently CPU is at 56 and the HDD is at 42 degrees C

So far I've installed everything onto the new laptop and with the exception of registax5, everything went on ok.

A warning for Registax 5 popped up saying it may not have installed correctly... but appears to have installed OK.

I don't think I've missed anything, so next night I'm at home (tomorrow) I'll start plugging things in and make sure :)

I haven't forgotten you Simon, honest!!! - I will reply ;)

Cheers

Ant

No worries mate, was just a friendly catch up.

I've had a few programs install on Win7 that have asked if its installed properly. Everything seems to have so far so all is good. I'm really impressed with it though, its like a beefed up version of XP but prettier, none of that system hogging that Vista used to get up to.

By the time I've replaced the motherboard, upped the RAM to the maximum - with still no guarantee that it would work, I thought that I may as well give in a buy a new one... Plus the battery didn't hold any charge!

What laptop did you get mate ?

It's an ACER, 2.1Ghz Dual core, with 3GB RAM, 4 USB2 ports - I think it's an aspire of some sort...

Not sure about Win7 though!

Ant