Narrowband

I doubt I've ever wished-away Summer so much...

Takahashi

This "2 hours of pseudo-darkness" is getting on my nerves, but I'm conflicted, BIG-time. I love the Summer weather, when it's agreeable, but I hate this perpetual twilight!

;):):p

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
come to Maldives, you will get the summer AND 10 hours darkness everyday whole year round ;)

Thats very generous of you, can you put up the whole forum?

I will be on the next plane... Pick me up at the Airport :)

Lets just charter a plane shall we .....a 737 should do it ;)

I'm waiting for the autumn....I'm not a big fan of hot weather.... frosty sunny days and long nights for me :)

Rob

Star party in the Maldives??:p:hello2::eek::hello2:

Is this in place of Salisbury or as well as?:):rolleyes:

What's the fishing like for occupying myself during the day?;)

lol, i don't think there has ever been a star party in Maldives. as far as i know there were two occasions where students and some citizen were introduced to astronomy and in one occasion were given chance to view through a telescope.

astronomy is just not so popular in Maldives.

Wait until August.. Warm days, several hours of darkness. Its the sweet spot month for me with the central milky way and the perseids thrown in for good measure.

Maldives? Im in too! Would prefer to charter an A380 though if we get enough members to fill the big bird LOL.

[Edit] hmm is their runway big enough? [/Edit]

...hmm is their runway big enough?

Boeing 747s land in Male' International Airport. A380 needs it longer?

the runway is 3000m long. if that is not enough, i am afraid the passengers will get their first scuba diving before they even disembark ;) Male' International Airport runway ends in the sea from both sides.:)

3896486646_8d8c2ac45a_b.jpg

the runway is 3000m long. if that is not enough

Landing is not an issue for runway length ... it's the accelleration during the takeoff run (with a heavy fuel load) that is, especially allowing for having to stop after a rejected takeoff. High temperature & high humidity means lower air density, which means less power output from the engines, less lift from the wings & a longer takeoff run ...

... if they want to fiddle around with airports on islands the size of a decent aircraft carrier, they should fit steam catapults to assist the takeoff ...

... if they want to fiddle around with airports on islands the size of a decent aircraft carrier, they should fit steam catapults to assist the takeoff ...

Hehe. Think Boeing and Airbus will need to start reinforcing the framework in their planes first.

Otherwise you just shoot away the passengers, with the engines and wings still left at the beginning of the runway. ;)

A 3km long aircraft carrier ;)

That I'd love to see :eek:

The longest (but not the biggest) at the moment is....of course...the USS Enterprise, at 342 metres.

Imagine landing on that in the dark with low fuel on a stormy night with the deck pitching 40ft up and down :):eek::p:eek:

I don't think that runway would tempt me to the Maldives either!

actually some tourists scream while descending to Male' International Airport thinking it's going to land in the sea. but there has never been such an incident so far, and no runway out run either. (but yes, the sea planes land in the lagoon of the Airport. and Maldives has the largest sea plane fleet in the world ;) )

checkout these videos of landing at Male'

from south side

FjY7c2iHtIs

from north side

TeBuNeKedmw

When we went to the Maldives, the plane had several camera's one facing front, one back and one straight down...

As you came into land (and if you have the tv on the right channel) you could watch the little islands going past, then switch to the front camera for landing...

No problem at all.

The Maldives isn't that hot, it's certainly a much more comfortable 30c than it is here...

I'd go back at the drop of a hat!

Watching Orion rise on it's side was very strange!

Ant

Archived