Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What guide camera do you use?

Hello astrophotographers! :D

I thought i could start this thread or vote whatever you want to call it. As I beleive this would help me and alot of others that wish to get starting in autoguided AP.

I think their is some debate on which cameras work sucessfully to guide with. And I have seen the topic being asked (and by me) and it usualy sparks the debate.

So i thought this thread might be usfull to us starting out.

So the question is simpley what guide camera do you use? and maybe you could rate it out of 5 stars

i.e QHY5 *****

Philips toucam pro *** etc

Or maybe the mods could make this into a vote thingy! :evil6:

Thanks folks i think this will settle alot of questions..:p

Michael.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phillips spc900 webcam. Rate it ****½. The missing ½ is probably due to software, not hardware, issues.

Have an old Starlight Xpress MX917 camera, but would rate that *. It's old, heavy and cumbersome to use. The webcam just slots in with PHD and away you go.

As a Mac user my options are different somewhat but I've happily used a DMK31 (Firewire version) for guiding and some imaging and most of the time it's a SX Lodestar - easy 5 stars for that one ;)

James

Well thank you all kindly for your votes, I think this might help some of us to make a choice.

So the count so far in order of popularity is:

DSI-I- 6 VOTES

QHY5- 4 VOTES

SPC900- 3 VOTES

DSI-II- 2 VOTES

DMK21AU04AS- 2 VOTES

ATIK 16IC- 2 VOTES

SXLOADSTAR- 2 VOTES

SYNGUIDER- 1 VOTES

(22 votes total)

Interesting to see some of the cheaper alternatives in the lead thier, i did not expect that TBH. So.....a DSI-I second hand perhaps??;)

Cheers folks,

Michael

here's a new one for the list, I use a Mintron 12v6 video camera. Mainly because it's what I had when I moved into autoguiding, but also as it's suuuuper sensitive (internally stacks up to 128 frames) it never fails to find a star.

Archived