SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

best astronomy book/software

Hi guys,

can you recommend the best literature for a starter?

I was thinking of Turn Left at Orion by Guy Consolmagno and Dan M. Davis or one of dear old Patrick Moore's numbers.

Or is software the way to go, being all interactive and so on?

Does starry Night kind of give step by step advice as a book would, or is that just for hardcores who know the basics?

Maybe there's a good website. Does anyone know a decent link?

thanks,

Astrophethean

I have starry night and find it very useful for seeing where object are and, more importantly, the DEC and RA settings for them but, it wont give you the sort of step by step advice that you can get from a good book. My advice ? get both. :rolleyes:

I have been trying to find a bookstore with a copy of "Turn Left..." but I can't, and I want to have a look before I buy. I am sold on "Nightwatch" because of its large, navy on white maps which are easy to read by red torch. And it's Canadian.

Still, the best astronomy book is the one you like and use most. I have several. I have a copy of a guide by Ian Ridpath that has excellent moon maps, that I often haul outside on a moonlit night.

I keep looking for that "Turn Left..." Maybe I'll buy it when I see it.

Like WH, I tend to use "Nightwatch" - I find the level of detail on the maps is about right for looking at with a red torch. Font big enough, but still a lot of useful info.

The other parts of the book are a good all-round intro to Astronomy.

Tom

Archived