Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

az4 mount

hi ther.. does anybody use a az4 mount.. i have just got one from sherwoods photo minus the L shape bracket,, but thats another gripe.. my problem is the alt/az circles mine seems to be printed to wrong way round ie.. starts at o` then goes clockwise 360`..350`..340` etc.. is yours printed the same? on a compass clockwise its north 0`east 90` south 180` west 270` back up to north 360.. which in my way of thinking renders it useless.. or have i lost the plot .. i dont understand it ,,sorry to ramble on but just need to know if they are all printed that way,, thank you ,,john.

If you look at a map North is usually at the top, East 90 degrees right, West 90 degrees left, and South at the bottom. However, if you look up at the sky facing South where all the action is, then east is 90 degrees to the Left and West is 90 degrees to the right. North winds up behind you. Hope that helps :D

I have just looked a t a photograph of the AZ4 mount and I can confirm that the scale is backwards to what you see on a compass but it is correct for a telescope mounting. The 180 degree mark is at the North side of the mount and the 360 degree mark at the South. When looking South through the telescope you would stand at the North side of the mount, seeing the 180 degree and when looking North you would stand at the South side of the mount seeing the 360 degree mark.

Peter

I have just looked a t a photograph of the AZ4 mount and I can confirm that the scale is backwards to what you see on a compass but it is correct for a telescope mounting.

No I'm afraid it's not correct for a telescope mounting.

The 180 degree mark is at the North side of the mount and the 360 degree mark at the South. When looking South through the telescope you would stand at the North side of the mount, seeing the 180 degree and when looking North you would stand at the South side of the mount seeing the 360 degree mark.

Sure - but that rotational offset doesn't change the fact that the numbers are printed going in the wrong direction. After I got mine, I emailed both the Widescreen Centre and got no reply (not that that's unusual by any means :D), but OVL didn't respond either.

John - you can make do (as I do) by refitting the ring upside-down. Yeah, not great, but what else is there to do?

Make sure Sherwoods send that L-bracket on to you. Widescreen Centre didn't hand mine over either when I bought one, until I insisted and pointed out the OVL web site said I was meant to get one.

If the scale is definitely wrong way round and you're missing a part I wouldn't make do at all. Send it back and demand a proper one. Harrisons are usually ok to deal with I have found - but phone them - get the chaps name you talk to and keep in touch with him till you're happy ;)

hi guys me and brother came up with that solution yesterday , turning the ring upside down and its works like u said great_bear not great but works, now i can use distant suns software and find things , well i will when i get my bracket great bear what does the bracket look like .. spoke to matt frost from sherwoods who then spoke to ovl who said they would send one out fingers crossed,, thanks again john.

yep i need it ,, i am going to mount my spotting scope on it as a grab an go system its a acuter 80mm scope .. i have a 250px dobsonsian for my main use, but cant take it on hols with me.. ( wish i could ) lost without the bracket , does the bracket fit staight to the mount or do i need a dovetail mount aswell.. john

No the bracket is dovetailed.

I'd take a picture of mine, but I've just suffered an accident and can't move easily. I'll see if there's a picture online.

Can I ask what spotting scope you've got? - its relevant.

its a acuter 80mm made by sytna/skywatcher sky at night did a review of turning spotting scopes to the skys and the acuter opticaly came out best nice little scope really shape with min ca, cant beat it for the price but as its down side ie.. cant use 1.25 eyepieces wiv it but i have got 5mm 9mm 26mm and 8-24mm zoom which i only use for daytime use.. john

Archived