Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ever heard of the vixen 130 ED f6.6??

The review is surprizingly good. I only say 'surprizingly' because f6.6 is fast for a 130mm refractor. There has been a lot of progress in refractor design at lower cost so there are new scopes that might push it quite hard. Eg SW120 apo and Meade 127. It is certainly an interesting and unusual beast. Any chance you could to try it? I did check out Ed Ting's Scope Reviews but could find no sign of it there in either guise.

Olly

Thanks to both of yo for the replies. What an exellent review!!

I just found this scope on ebay and wondered if it would be worth a punt.

What I`m really after is a vien 102fl but I`m struggling to find one.Let me know if you know of one...........Anywhere!!

The 130ss is fetching £1200.00

Agin, many thanks, Bob

I do know someone with a Vixen 4 inch ED but not the fl. Worth my asking him or not?

Honestly I think modern scopes have pushed these older high end Vixens too hard. The friend with the Vixen does not rate it as highly as a TeleVue TV85 which he borrows from his club and those go for reasonable prices.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Vixen ED102SS which also seems to be quite rare - it's an F/6.5. Vixen have produced some unusual refractors over the past decade from 70mm to 150mm including some of the petzval design.

My 102 is a conventional ED doublet but pretty well corrected for it's focal ratio.

• 7 months later...

Must admit i thought of having a bid at this scope 2 but have read very mixed reviews and as olly says the newer scopes have pushed the older ones very close and may of even surpassed them and you can buy the skywatcher ed 120 for around £750 with the case. second hand.

Archived