Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What a missed opportunity!

davy999

I was aligning my scope at the weekend and aligning using the moon as it was so bright and no stars were clearly visible.

The moon was a beautiful sight, bathed in orange as it was so low down to the horizon.

I had just got the scope aligned with a large EP that just accommodated the whole disk of the moon and had got the focus just about spot on when a great picture opportunity was missed.

Just as I had set focus an airplane passed in front of the disk, it was very small as being low on the horizon the plane was quite some distance away but the silhouette was perfectly focused, and trailing behind was a beautiful black vapour trail. It was so small it was almost humbled by the background of the moon, but it did look like a stunning picture opportunity and I missed it.

So.. on with the setting up, after cursing that I had missed it I put my eye to the EP again, only to see another plane do exactly the same thing.

Quickly I chucked on the camera, focused and waited. no more planes.. [removed word]!

Sounds familiar. A few years ago i was taking pics of a rising Full Moon and was momentarily mezmerized as a ''V" of Canadian Geese peacefully drifted across the eclipse-orange disc.

It would have been, as they say, a "moneymaker" of a shot... but i was too busy gawking to capture it. :D:p

"A few years ago i was taking pics of a rising Full Moon and was momentarily mezmerized as a ''V" of Canadian Geese peacefully drifted across the eclipse-orange disc.

It would have been, as they say, a "moneymaker" of a shot... but i was too busy gawking to capture it"

And women are forever telling us they can multitask! piffft!:D:p:D

once i was shooting a 15 second exposure on the moon and a planet near by, when a plane crossed right in the middle of the moon disk. it did mess up my picture with a light trail. i wished i had seen it coming, i would have zoomed and focused on the moon to take the shot of my life.

but hey, thats how life is. so many missed opportunities.

Excellent pic Bob, and a big thank you, you've just solved a mystery from years back for me!:p

A good few year back, i was watching England play Australia in Oz,

as the camera man panned his camera around the city in the background as they waited for the bowlers to change, there in the background was the moon and [removed word] me if the shadow of an aeroplane did'nt cross over the moons surface!:D...well thats what ive always assumed happened and could never quite understand how the shadow came to been on the surface...your pic now explains it for me! it wasnt a shadow but the"Silhouette":o

Thanks all, tho i would of preferred to of captured the above mentioned ''V" of Canadian Geese!....that really would of been a moneyspinner! i can see it now....astronomy mags, bird watchin mags, photography mags....etc etc!!!!

cheers all....& remember next time, be prepared!!!...lol

bob

Hi Guys & Gals:hello2:...here's one that i snapped of a plane transiting the moon the other morning, just as the moon took on a golden colour whilst setting. its not perfect, but am quite pleased tho.

cheers

bob:)

That was almost the image I had, except the vapour trail was visible too.

You thief!! :D

Nice pic though, not sure mine would have been as clear.

Hope you dont mind me posting this image, taken the same night, maybe just 20min after the first. the moon is a little darker and more 'wobbly', as it was lower in the sky, so its not as sharp. My dream capture would be of the silouette of the ISS against the moon....publishers, open your wallets please! ;):):)

Archived