Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

DobbyX

Poor timing

Today I had my last exam, physics and it contained a fair deal of astronomy questions :D. This means I have reached the end of sixth form and I have left my school of 7 years.

Now for the annoying part, only now have they received a grant to build an observatory in the grounds, meant to house a 16" Ritchey-Chretien and an apo astrograph.

This has been in the works for several years and it is only now that they get around to doing it, just as I leave the school. :p

Sounds like the time to offer to volunteer as a mentor for the school astronomy club!

No, a state grammar school in Reading.

I spoke to my physics teacher who applied for the grant and he said I was welcome to come visit at any time to use the observatory :D.

Now its a question of the weather and the somewhat abundant light pollution in the middle of Reading.

I hope it gets great use, but when I was in Sixth Form I can't think of anyone who would have gone back to school in the evening for any reason (even the teachers) ;). You must have some really serious amateur astronomers and great teachers. I hope you get the grades you want and get frequent use of the observatory. Enjoy.

i would get them to invest in a CCD camera, to help get the most out of the RC and the APO, and also a set of narrowband filters to cut through the light pollution. Narrowband filters are good for doing science with, as they isolate individual emission lines. Baader so a good set for a very good price.

our uni (Uni of Glasgow) have ordered a paramount, so we are looking forward to that

may I come and use your new bits of great kit?

thanks

paul

Actually, I as far as I know there are not many people that are interested, instead the job of using it has been thrust upon the unwilling hands of the boarders that reside in the school.

I believe there is a CCD camera included and the whole setup is to be computer controlled. I am not sure about filters though, I will ask to find out; there are quite a lot of low pressure sodium lamps in the surrounding streets, they should help alot with that.

if its remote controlled what mount are you using?

for remote obsy's the paramount is king....

the filters are just about essential....without it you will have significantly degraded images due to background shot noise. At least get them to purchase an LPR.....

my friend and I have assisted the University of Glasgow in their equipment choices.....LHiResIII, H16, Guiding Paramount, etc.....