SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New tripod or wedge?

Ok after my last post regarding the best wedge to buy, i'm now wondering whether i should infact just buy a new tripod mount.

Presently i am imaging with a CPC-800 on an alt/az mount and a Canon 450D camera.

i have around £800 to spend, should i go for an Orbit wedge or an Eq6 tripod mount (or another if considered better)?

Thks in advance

n.b dont want to lose my GOTO capability so would a HEQ5 Pro Synscan be better ?

I dont think anyone has stock of the orbit wedges at the moment...

I use a CPC800 on a fixed wedge and pier.. although if i was starting out again i would have gone with an EQ6 Pro based setup... although I do like using CPC/Wedge based setup as it means I dont have to worry about meridian flips...

I havent been able to find a de-forking guide for the CPC800 but some posts seem to suggest its a one way no going back operation ... :D:p I couldnt bring myself to do that

Peter...

I dont think anyone has stock of the orbit wedges at the moment...

I use a CPC800 on a fixed wedge and pier.. although if i was starting out again i would have gone with an EQ6 Pro based setup... although I do like using CPC/Wedge based setup as it means I dont have to worry about meridian flips...

I havent been able to find a de-forking guide for the CPC800 but some posts seem to suggest its a one way no going back operation ... :D:p I couldnt bring myself to do that

Peter...

Dont bother Peter, I had a look at it, i was going to make a CNC machined unit to house 4 80mm fracs with 3 40D DSLR's and guide cam.

The meridian flip on my EQ6 is a pain, the a fork mounted scope on the *****- ***** is a dream... sorry cant name my own brand for obvious reasons.. :evil6:

Guy

is all your imagign doen from a fixed site or will you be movign around... easy adjustment is more important if you are going to be using the setup fro a range of geographical locations....

In my obs I use what is an essentaily "fixed" wedge with the Latitutde preset ...

Peter...

I am deleting the orignial version of this post having had subsequent information.

My own feeling is that long focal length SCTs require premium mounts when used for deep sky imaging. Premium mounts are expensive and that is an unfortunate fact of imaging life. Would that it were otherwise.

Olly

Archived