Narrowband

NAME A STAR GIFT BOX

I was given one of these on Fathers Day.

Anyone had any experience of them? any views as to their authenticity? or are they just a gimmick?

I`ve named my star "Armsoft Aries" so if you happen to spot it, let me know :D

Mark

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some are against, and some are for this sort of thing.

A loved one may appreciate the gift, and therefore is justified on those grounds. I'm afraid all I can conjure up, is the gleeful look on the face of the entrepreneur?????????, as he pockets the money.

Should be Billed as a Rogue Trader.

Ron.

Although it has absolutely no authenticity and I agree that these things are a scam, from your own point of view, it was bought as a gift by someone who loves you and it is very much 'the thought that counts'.

I don't in any way condone these things, they are a con and the companies involved should be closed down although many of them do spell out the fact that this is a 'fun' present and no more. I have been contacted by several people over the years who know of my interest in astronomy - a couple asking me to photograph the object for them!

I tend to agree with Steppenwolf - it was given in good faith as a gift... the "problem" is with the people peddling these items and not the people giving or recieving them...

a couple asking me to photograph the object for them!

Perhaps the OP could post the info given on the certificate (RA and DEC)

Peter...

There was an article about them in one of the Sunday papers recently. I believe that they (ie these sorts of operations) are being investigated by Trading Standards. While it is easy to get round the law by stating that the star designations are being kept on the company's own database and not a recognised catalogue, it is nevertheless a practice which is counter the public interest and is precisely what TS should be aiming at.

Dalglish

Shame that they are just a gimmick in a way but I fear you may need a very big telescope to locate your 'star'

Mind you, I was once given a book on astrology as a birthday present so I think I would have preferred your gift!

Geoff

I also was bought one of these for a birthday a few years ago from Star Listings International. It was lovely thought but i was wise to this not being legit.

For any interested in seeing the star "Matthew"...

N 44.0200 W 69.9000

8h01m55.7s J2000.0

Alt 11.426 Az 54.862

16th May 2007 13:57.12

Still, its on the wall in the hallway and as i said, it was a nice thought. I do agree that TS needs to do something about these 'traders'.

I received a plot on the moon once...

I do have a good tale to tell though...

One of my friends died tragically (hold on it is good I promise) and someone bought his parents a star named after him...they were very pleased indeed at this thought. So although we know that its a bit of a joke, for some the illusion can be good.

My little girl born in Jan was given a star M54 as a present, the buyer thought the present was a nice gesture and I didnt have the heart to tell them M54 was not a star.

Such a shame M54 is so low from the UK , would still love to show M54 to my daughter when shes older. Im sure she would appreciate it.

Mark

Fake or not, beats getting a tie or pair of socks.

I own a square foot of prime Scottish land, I plan to use it for star parties :D

Tie, yes. Socks? No, useful things!

Presents - yes, think always of the giver.

Olly

I received a plot on the moon once...

I do have a good tale to tell though...

One of my friends died tragically (hold on it is good I promise) and someone bought his parents a star named after him...they were very pleased indeed at this thought. So although we know that its a bit of a joke, for some the illusion can be good.

I know its slightly off topic - but we told my son when his nan died that she had gone to heaven (the usual story) and that the star (polaris) was his Nan and would always look over him...

Made him feel better, that all that counts. If it happened to cost a few quid for the same effect then that fine by me.

Ant

I tend to agree with Steppenwolf - it was given in good faith as a gift... the "problem" is with the people peddling these items and not the people giving or recieving them...

Perhaps the OP could post the info given on the certificate (RA and DEC)

Peter...

RA: 9h 11m 34.3s

DEC: +5 41' 7.3"

MAG: 13.6

Interestingly, the seller "Gift Republic" state in the paperwork -

"The information is entered onto the star registry, the star registry is published by Gift Republic. To ensure the registry is available to as many people as possible for as long as possible it is submitted to the British Library to be catalogued"

Even though I knew deepdown that it was a gimmick, for the same reasons given by others I`m glad I got it as my sock draw is full and I have far too many ties.

Mark

I received one of these things as a Chrissy prezzie. IIRC, it was some inconspicuous 15th magnitude star, somewhere in the southern hemisphere (I'm at 55.46N). My cynicism put those two facts together and came up with a rock-solid solution; scam.

Yes it is a scam but it appears thus far to be a legal scam or at least semi legit. If having a star named after you brings you happiness then i am all for it. Its a lovely thought and "it's the thought that counts".

Lovely story about Polaris Ant.

Mrs Baz bought me one from Gift Republic some years ago. Unfortunately one of her best friends died suddenly just before Christmas, so I named the star after her and gave the "certificate" to her family. Best outcome for everyone I thought.

Like Ant said, if it made someone feel better, that's all that matters.

Sir PM has raised this matter on more than one occasion in the S@N program, as I believe he is often asked where the Stars are in the sky, nobody really want`s to disappoint anyone with the truth, or cause upset where pleasure has been derived, from the giving or receiving of a certificate, IMHO it boils down to the fact that should these people be aloud to continue to con the public at large?.

John.

Archived