Narrowband

Hello from Southampton

Datch

Hi All,

I spent 45 minutes last night lying in my garden staring up at the stars and decided I wanted to see more!

My interest in Astronomy was born.

I've been surfing about to educate myself, i found a program called stellarium, which is like a little planitarium on my PC. I even found one for my mobile phone.

Although, without a telescope both are pretty... boring at the moment.

Anyway, I'll post that over in the beginners help and advice forum. :-P

Question: how long have you been interested in astronomy and what got you hooked?

Look forward to getting to know you all.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL Datch.

It won't be boring for long...

To answer your question. I've always had an interest in astronomy, got my first telescope when I was about 11 or 12.

Cheers

Ant

Welcome from a Wiltshire stargazer.

To answer your question I have been interested for 40+ years but only had a telescope for 10 years. Naked eye astronomy is a good start, but have you got any binoculars? You can always start with those. Try finding a few star clusters and learning your way around the constellations, it will be useful for when you get a telescope

hi datch and welcome to the forum :p stellarium is superb :D

how long have you been interested in astronomy and what got you hooked?

well most of my life,and i think it must have been the first time i noticed all those tiny points of light up there! amazed then and still am :evil6:

hello and welcome to the forum,im new here to too,to answer your question,been into astronomy for a few years,got first scope last year,what hooked me is the amount of objects there is to see out there,full of weird and wonderful.

Hi Datch,

A very warm welcome to SGL, my Astronomy started with space travel at school some sixty years ago, more interested in the sky now and what is up there. Hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Welcome Datch :-) SGL is an awesome site to be a member of - I have been hooked for the last 3 months, Brian Cox presenting the "Wonders of the solar system" sparked my flame and its been growing ever since!

Hi Datch

Welcome from another Newbie

I Have been interested for about 5 yrs now

really seeing the stars for the first time in my life,

in Boston on a very clear night in Aug.

Looking up thinking whats all that Twinkling.lol

Then realising just how beautifull it was.

I Think that was when I Thought there is something up there other than

the Sky,Moon,and Sun.

and now just doing something about it. I Want to see more ;o)

bought 2 prs of Bino's for starters.lol

Pay back from many moons ago when P.Moore used to come on the T,V

Sky at Night,

I Used to turn over as I Tought his voice was Boring

And now how I Wiish I Had Watched All his programs.

Welcome To SGL Datch :D

I have been into astronomy for about 3 years i remember it was in the winter months and i kept seeing these 3 stars in a line and i wanted to know what they were so i got a constellations book and it was orion so now when i look at it i no longer see a bunch of stars i see as a picture my intrest grew from then on. I also love when the skies are clear and the stars shine bright .

post-19619-133877459344_thumb.jpg

Hi Datch, welcome to SGL.

Iv'e been into it since my early teens, I did a project on the Viking landers at school, and it's gone from there. ( Blimey that 35 years went quick!)

Had my scopes for a couple of years now, and things never fail to amaze me.

Hi Datch and a warm welcome to the forum.

Have always wanted to know what what was up there but it has only been over the last couple of years that I really started to do something about it. Like you, I would consider myself a relative newbie and as Demonperformer above rightly suggests, try and get out and look through some kit before you buy. There are several astro clubs that do observational evenings, there are also observational groups (many belong here on this forum) that are also a good starting point. A year ago, the Kelling Heath Star Party in Norfolk really got me going and I was not only struck by the variety of kit that people had but also their enthusiasm and energy for the subject. This forum is having it's own Star Party in Salibury soon, why not come down and meet everyone and their scopes? Try before you buy is really essential, as are a good pair of binos.:p:D

Clear skies

James

Hi Datch, I'm not far from you either, over in Lymington. Got interested a few years ago and then saved up my pennies to get a scope. It's worth taking your time before making a purchase, decide what it is you want to look at. Lots of images and advice on the forum. Welcome.

Jem.

Archived