Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

themos

Calling all owners of Altair 8 inch F4 Imaging Newtonian

Hello,

I am thinking of buying an astrograph, would you recommend this one as there's nothing else at the same price point, as far as I can tell. Is a coma corrector a must-have? Any other correctors needed?

Thanks for any answers.

Hi there,

I'm not an owner but a tester; I have one here at the minute for evaluation. I have not yet had it out under the stars so I'm a bit of a let down for you. As soon as I get outside I will post the resuts but full moon is maintenance time here and Monique has just inflicted a complicated decorating job on me!

Chris Suddell has been getting good results with his. He uses an 8300 chip for which the corrector is required, yes. (I have that here as well.)

I can say that the build quality is good and that Altair have, in my view, done a fine job in keeping down the cost without introducing anything nasty-looking into the package. The focuser introduces some vignetting but a larger one would have added a lot to the price. It seems both robust and accurate though, and I can't see it failing to hold the camera firmly.

I really will try to get it into action ASAP. On spec it is a very exciting instrument. F4... yum yum!!

Olly

Thanks Olly, keep us posted. By the way, is there any way this is the same as the GSO f/4 sold by Modern Astronomy?

Yes - it is made by GSO, branded by many shops, including Altair, AstroTech or TS. It may be good but it's a big newtonian so something has to hold it really steady.

Edited by riklaunim

It might be worth searching for reviews or comments about the scope under it's 'Astro-tech' name, they are sold in the US under that name and seem popular over there.

I'm looking at getting one myself, so I've been hunting around and the general opinion seems to be positive.

Tim.

Edited by tmarkuk

I'm hoping Kevin (BeyondVision) will turn up and tell us how he's been getting along with it.

Not so fast with the assumptions that they are all the same thing. The scope I have is made by GSO to a spec set out by Altair Astro. It is certainly sold though telescope Service and, I think, by Modern Astronomy but on that I'm not certain. It is not a generic GSO scope, so Altair must get their credit for the modification to the standard GSO Newt.

It is getting dangerous to assume that all similar looking scopes are the same because the factories that make them do so the spec of their large customers. Important details can and do vary.

Since today's decorating went wrong (French paint is rubbish!) and it is now thundering tonight looks like not being the night, dammit.

Olly

Olly

I saw one a few days ago in a local shop. It looks rather nice and the build quality seemed rather good (this is an Altair one by the way).

How well it would work - no idea - I'm told it comes with a coma corrector thrown in for the price though.

Edited by Astro_Baby

I've decided to keep well out of the debate on whose design it is and just see how well it performs. I am well known as a refractor enthusiast, especially for imaging, so any bias I have will work the other way. The decorating is now sorted but would that the sky were in better shape. The storms we get are exciting but not always timely. At least this is not the dark time...

Olly

The Altair Astro scope is as far as I know the same spec as the Astrotech but is different to the previous GSO model that Modern astronomy etc sell. The mirrors are the same as the GSO deluxe but I believe they have a protective coating which may not be present on the earlier GSO's. The tube is longer than the GSO deluxe to create a dew shield/ light shroud. The tube has 15 baffles which also help to stiffen it. The down side of the longer tube and baffles is increased weight. So it's not a lot lighter than the Skywatcher MN190.

I have had a few problems with the first two scopes I received. Collimation was difficult and they wouldn't hold collimation. The scope although fairly solid was let down with things like secondary vanes being loose and focusers not tightened up properly. These things were easy to rectify but added to the other problems were annoying. The third scope I have received seemed much better with it being fairly close to being collimated out of the box when star tested. It has also not shifted as yet.

I haven't had much chance to try it out in earnest due to other kit problems and lack of opportunity. From the result I got when I managed to collimate the previous scopes it showed some good promise. You will need a coma corrector for it especially with a DSLR size sensor and above. This takes the price over £630 which brings it closer towards the MN190 which is corrected out of the box.

Let's hope the first two were hiccups in the quality control as it should be able to suck up the photons with it being F4 and also a good resolution with its 8" aperture for a relatively small outlay.

Regards

Kevin

Or I could spend £160 (Losmandy style dovetail, 355mm rings and ADM EQ6 puck + Losmandy clamp) and put the f/5 12" Dob on the EQ6...

no, that way madness lies.

I've decided to keep well out of the debate on whose design it is and just see how well it performs. I am well known as a refractor enthusiast, especially for imaging, so any bias I have will work the other way. The decorating is now sorted but would that the sky were in better shape. The storms we get are exciting but not always timely. At least this is not the dark time...

Olly

I'll try answer a few questions on this thread if I may in order to clear up any misconceptions:

Yes, this is indeed the same scope, distributed by Altair into both the EU (TS and others) and UK (various co's). It's made by GSO to contract, with enhancements over the previous older model, to optimise it for imaging.

Having re-read this thread, there are other points I'd better make in the interests of clarity:

One interesting thing I've noticed is that reflectors are embraced more as pure astrographs in Europe, whereas they are seen more as visual instruments in the UK.

and also that Olly - your test scope was in fact Kevin's first scope, which I recollimated, before sending out to you in France ;) LOL

and finally, in order to compare weights of Mak and Newt, I would suggest that you look at each manufacturers website and compare the weights "with accessories" i.e. tube rings and finder - not the OTA only weights. You will come up with a 5lb difference, which is probably more than the weight of all your imaging accessories.

Oh sorry just to add another clarification - the scope doesn't cost £630 with the coma corrector, it actually costs £550 a combined 4 element CCorr/Flattener...

Thanks,

Nick

Altair

Edited by Nostromo