Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello All!

NickMorris

Hi,

I am photonboy, from the horrible light pollution capital of London.

Very much a beginner but also very hungry for knowledge and it seems this place is filled with very experienced people. Looks like I am going to be the annoying newbie with lots of silly questions :D.

I went to my first star party this year at Kelling but unfortunately got food poisoning and was bed ridden for most of it. Grrrrr. Amazing sky though but very daunting to find stuff if you don't know the sky.

cheers

photonboy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Photonboy,

A very warm welcome to SGL, that was rather an unfortunate experience for your first Star Party, if you have no telescope at the moment, perhaps you should consider a pair of Binos 10x50, together with a copy of Sky & Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas and, of course, a red torch, many people start to learn the night sky like this before proceeding further.

John.

Hi Photonboy, welcome to SGL.

Fire away with the questions, there's always someone who's willing to help.

Sorry you had a bad time at Kelling, tends to be the case that you get flu, or something like that two days before a holiday!

If you haven't already got it, download Stellarium, it's free and very useful. That should help getting to find your way round.

Hi Photonboy,

A big welcome o the forum from me too. There is a search facility at the top of the page for past questions and responses which you might find helpful. Shame about the you being ill for Kelling Heath - it was my introduction to astronomy and was absolutely brilliant for a newbie like me. You could always pop on down to the Salisbury Star Party which is organized by this forum. A good opportunity to get your eye in and also to view the different types of kit that people use. Again from a newbie perspective it is such a good idea to talk to people about their particular interest, their kit and ultimately, how to manage and fund your own astronomical expectations.

Clear skies

James

Hi photonboy,

A warm welcome to the forum :D

And there's nowt wrong with asking questions, you'll find loads of helpful people and good advice on here.

The only stupid questions are the ones that you don't ask.

Wow,

thank you all for a such a warm welcome, I get the feeling this is a friendly place to be.

Luckily Kelling didn't dampen my enthusiasm coz i booked for winter and spring next year the day after I got back!

I was lucky enough to win some money at cards a few years ago and decided to buy a scope before the money was all gone. I impulse bought a Meade LX200R 8" from a good dealer in London. I lived in a flat at the time, so I took it to a mates house in the country where it stayed for the next year and a half whilst he was away.

I now have it back and getting to grips, dying to get some photos as well.

Anyone know if Salisbury is an observing event?

all the best,

photonboy

Hi Photonboy from me too - what a pity you were ill at the star party.

Dont worry about annoying people with questions everyone here is very friendly and if you ask anything you will get an answer pretty quick.

Clear skies to you ;)

Archived