Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M11 - The Wild Duck Cluster *Unguided*

Deneb

Hi

I took this shot of M11 - The Wild Duck Cluster, situated in Scutum.

Actually it was just meant to be some test shots from a few nights ago, I was so impressed with them, so I share it with you lot... Definitly a object I would want to return to.. even in the murk.

Taken with 16x 2mins Subs @ISO800, 10x Flats & 10x Bias..

Nadeem..

Superb pics of M11 Nadeem. I love this cluster, it sits in a very rich area in Scutum, and it is one of my favourite objects.

It isn't often imaged I've noticed, probably because of it's low declination, but it is a lovely sight visually.

The cluster was discovered by a German Observer, Gottfried Kirch.

It's appearance is supposed to resemble a flight of wild Ducks, a description given by an Admiral Smyth.

Ron.:D

---------------------------------------------------------

The following is an extract from the Internet.

"William Henry Smyth, an admiral in the British navy, was of American descent. After his retirement in 1825 Smyth erected an observatory in Bedford, England. The principal instrument was a 5.9" refractor by Tully which was carried on an equatorial mount similar to the ones later used on the 28" refractor at Greenwich and the 100" Hooker telescope."

Archived