Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY5 Passive Cooling

GuillermoBarrancos

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a lot of howtos for cooling DSI cameras - which could be transfered to uncooled QHYs etc. In my case I found that CPU cooler attaches on DSI radiator ribs very nicel. It's not peltier, but it's some cooling.

That's very interesting... I wonder... the 5v ought to be much the same design I'd have thought...

You can carefully open up the QHY5v and have a look at the board.

I just had a call with Bernard from Modernastronomy, as I am interested in the QHY5v as well. (just don't want to fork out the amount of cash for a DMK camera).

And he also said that the QHY5v should have the same circuitry board as the QHY5.

So have a look if it has the hole in the board behind the sensorchip as well.

I am curious too :rolleyes:

Well, the QHY5v has a lot of goodies, and it's a CMOS camera:

• Sensor: mono Micron 1/3inch MT9V032
  • 12bit companding mode
  • Active pixels: 752*480
  • Pixel Size: 6.0um x 6.0um square
  • USB2.0 High Speed 24Mpixel/s
  • Up to max 55FPS of downloading
  • Uncompressed Video data
  • Builin in Guide Port Guide port, Optic isolated
  • Progressive Scan
  • Telescope Interface: M42/0.75
  • Filter interface: M28.5/0.5 for 1.25inch Filter
Friend of mine got it from MA for Canon guiding and it works very well and now he is trying to catch Jupiter with it also. For QHY5 they list 56% QE (and 1280 x 1024) which is quite high (and that is CMOS). QHY5v is rated as better than non-v version.

I wonder why IMGOS isn't available in Europe.

Well, the QHY5v has a lot of goodies, and it's a CMOS camera:

Friend of mine got it from MA for Canon guiding and it works very well and now he is trying to catch Jupiter with it also. For QHY5 they list 56% QE (and 1280 x 1024) which is quite high (and that is CMOS). QHY5v is rated as better than non-v version.

Yes I followed that discussion the QHY forums. Really interesting camera too. But expensive tho hehe.

They also have a cheaper version with the same CCD chip as the DMK21 cameras. But that one doesn't seem to be available yet.

But for now, I think I am going for the QHY5v. Seems to be a very interesting camera for sure.

the 5v has done a good job for me on Lunar and guiding... Mars came out ok, but I didn't have something quite right... I suspect the Mak... I've yet to have another bash at planetary with my c80ed and the 5v...

The 5v is a different design... the board doesn't have a hole in it in the centre. Rather what look like 6 copper connection holes...

Sadly you're right, I just checked :rolleyes:

Although I think the holes are for ventilation rather than connection so maybe forced air cooling would work?

bern

Hmmm... but with the QHY5v having the improved global shutter design and high framerates. I guess cooling is less of a problem, then with the QHY5.

But those 6 holes? are they extremely tiny? or big enough to maby pour cooling pasta through and attach a peltier element to the back to achieve heat transfer from the back of the sensor afterall. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can show us a picture of the board? now you have it opened up! :)

I'm certainly interested in IMGOS but waiting for the hardware and software to mature. QHY are adding an ST4 port to the camera atm and I think all should ready in the next month or so.

bern

I'm certainly interested in IMGOS but waiting for the hardware and software to mature. QHY are adding an ST4 port to the camera atm and I think all should ready in the next month or so.

bern

This is the discussion topic on the QHY forums: QHY new Professional plantary CCD

They also have this one in the works:

Camera Model: IMG0L (Mono/Color)

CCD: SONY HAD CCD sensor ICX098BL/AK

Resolution: 640*480

ADC: High quality low noise 14BIT ADC

Data Rate: Maxium 20Mbyte/s

Maxium Download FPS: 56FPS @ full resolution @8bit 30FPS@full resolution @ 14bit

Analog Gain: 0-36DB

Digital Gain: 1X,2X,4X,16X,32X(For 8bit mode ,use this to boost the low bit range)

Cooling: one Stage -30degree below ambient

Build in SDRAM Buffer: 32MByte

Telescope Interface: 2inch and M42/0.75

They could design something with more modern/sensitive CCD with QE >= to ICX285 :rolleyes: rather small pixels, sensor up to 2/3" in size, cooling, ROI, binning. Replacement for medium DS cam (like DSI III Pro) and planetary camera like DMK :) ICX204 is somewhere between ICX098 and ICX285.

And there could be some room for innovation in the entry level - designing mini-filter wheels with permanently integrated small LRGB/other filters for such small sensors (screewed close to sensor) or some integrated focal reducers (could they be parfocal?) :)

Good luck... I'm sure you'll be pleased with it, just work through the driver installs well before you want to use it. The latest work fine... but my first few attempts I could either guide or capture, but not both...

Good luck... I'm sure you'll be pleased with it, just work through the driver installs well before you want to use it. The latest work fine... but my first few attempts I could either guide or capture, but not both...

Yes thank you for persuading me on this camera! :p

And I'll figure it out with the drivers. No problem. I do IT for a living hehe. :D

• 3 weeks later...

But still it's short exposure imaging - signal to noise ratio isn't as high as with long exposures on low gain achievable with CCDs and their electronics. Those images are nice, and can be done also with other planetary cams, TV Cameras like mintron or watec - but all will be missing something that dedicated astro DS cameras can give.

The question is - how much you want to get from an image - are you satisfied with short exposure results or do you want 30 min exposures in H-a for stunning results :)

But still it's short exposure imaging - signal to noise ratio isn't as high as with long exposures on low gain achievable with CCDs and their electronics. Those images are nice, and can be done also with other planetary cams, TV Cameras like mintron or watec - but all will be missing something that dedicated astro DS cameras can give.

The question is - how much you want to get from an image - are you satisfied with short exposure results or do you want 30 min exposures in H-a for stunning results :D

You TOTALLY missing the whole point here.

As usual. :)

Time to come clean :)

I followed Rick's example and added an aluminium lump:) to the rear of the chip, the block plus thermal paste comes into contact with the rear of the chip and then the underside of the ally case.

Unfortunately like Rick, I hadn't done any dark frame tests prior to the mod but I did try at some DSO's a while ago and was quite impressed at the sensitivity of the chip-Rick's the Master tho !

On cold winters nights the passive cooling is noticeable I believe and since it was an easy and reversible mod I felt I had little lose and a bit to gain :D

Of course the problem is using it for DSO's left me without a means of guiding :) so exp were limited but take it from me the possibilities exist !

If I could figure out a reliable method of using the Lumenera for guiding i might give it another whirl later this year.

I still think when cond.s are good the QHY5 with the larger chip makes a superb luna cam, making mosaics less traumatic

Archived