sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

jupiter 24th june better seeing

neil phillips

Surpised me tonight how much more stable the last few captures were, again in daylight, i used a long extention tube with my 3x televue for quite a healthy mag im guessing maybe 8.5 9000 mm FL ?

the large image is a 20% resize the smaller image is actually a slight downsize as i just liked it. I left the colour a tad blue shy because of the blue around the limb with heavy daylight creeping in at 4.42 bst, about 30 degrees this. 4729301519_1c541d1048_o.png

A redo of above capture

4732361552_78f211fe2a_o.png

Edited by neil phillips

Hi Guys i was pleasently surprised by tonights better captures still looking at them. the processing was a rather weird go at it trying to do it outside in daylight, i tried some different things to cure certain problems indoors but didnt like it, so basically just put this together from the daylight processing. I may do better with this, or other captures im looking at now. And yes its a moon shadow bite.

Very nice indeed, with the colour fixed it would be excellent (yeah I know it's not easy ...) I prefer the "slight downsize" too!

Your actual focal length? I measured the "upsized" version at 345 x 328 pixels, the effective pixel size is 5.6 x 1.2 = 6.72 microns so the raw image size is 2.318 x 2.204 mm.

Working from the equatorial diameter - 40.6 arc sec - gives a focal length of 11776mm. Working from the polar diameter - 37.9 arc sec - gives a focal length of 11994mm. These are in reasonable agreement allowing for the difficulty of judging exactly where the limb is, especially the less sunlit limb to the bottom right of your image, which tends to cause an underestimate of the diameter.

Your focal length therefore seems to be approx. 12,000 mm, giving a working focal ratio of f/48. I think you might do better by reducing this a bit!

Thanks again all,

Brian i will experiment with different focal lengths from a camera signal noise perspective you might be right, But from a perspective of the sharpness of the capture, its actually quite tight as can be seen from the edges on the avi, and it strangely ( shooting over a house roof ) also seemed to cope with the seeing, as nearly all the frames bar just a few hundred were fairly tight enabling me to stack nearly all of them, helping to cope with the noise at 30 fps with quite high gain. I will certainly reprocess this hoping to get a better colour and a tighter moon as can be seen,

Just posting up another with richer and i think better colour balance, and tighter moons, There was 2 but processing darkened the other too much on this.

Edited by neil phillips