Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light - SXVR-H18

RichieJarvis

Hi All,

I've been trying the H18 tonight on the VC200L - I chose the Crescent Nebula as the target, purely so I had a reference to compare against. I stuck to 5 minute subs, purely because I wanted a decent stack of images before I had to hit the hay :rolleyes:

This was with 4 dark frames to calibrate at -20 degrees, and an annoying noise problem - I will be isolating this over the coming imaging sessions - I certainly have no reason to suspect the camera at the moment - its probably the USB cable - I will be buying a higher quality shielding one tomorrow to test!

I have done no processing on this except a slight bit of curves and DDP - its also cropped (I am using 1.25inch filters still) and reduced in size.

Just gotta sort the noise problem out, but the initial impressions are promising.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Richie

post-14845-133877457947_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

Its semi-random - the positions of the lines seem to be constant, but each sub does not exhibit them all. Hence why some are brighter than others, as some add up in the stack and become brighter.

I switched over to a bigger PC last night for my imaging run, and confirmed that with 3GB of RAM (and no memory swapping going on) the problem went away. I also proved that using a disk-intensive application whilst the image was downloading caused horizontal lines, so in my book that means the theory is proved.

That being said, although some of the images did exhibit the problem last night, because it wasn't a constant throughout each sub, sigma stacking gets rid of them nicely :rolleyes:

I hope to post a better example later today....

Cheers,

Richie

Hi Ken,

Yes - I gave it a go first on the Genesis - it gives a 2 x 1.5 degree Field of View!

I plan to shoot something big like IC1396 or the Rosette with it later in the year - but for a small target like the Crescent, I needed to use a longer focal length instrument to get a decent Field of View.

Cheers,

Richie

Hi Pete,

Ahhh - another KAF8300 chip owner :rolleyes:

I rate the VC200L very highly actually - I am writing a review at the moment (but being slack as usual!) - Its a cracking scope - the only downside is the size of the spider - its a bit hefty. I hear some people have ground it down a bit - of course the risk with that is that the secondary won't be held quite as well.

As far as catadioptric tubes go - its the one of the best cheap designs I've seen before you get into the region of the Richy-Chretian type. Mirror flop just isn't possible, and focusing is a breeze - it also doesn't need any dew heaters. It even didn't dew up at SGL5 on that really badly dewy night!

That being said, the next one up is the VMC200, and I've been asked to look at that for comparison purposes, so time will tell.

I suppose the best question is would I replace my C8 with it? The answer is most definitely yes!

Cheers,

Richie

Archived