SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Readers' Images presentation in magazines.

ollypenrice

The French magazine Astronomie has an unusual way of presenting readers' images. They show various smaller reader images each month but feature four in a section called 'Bravo'. The pictures are full page and presented in a plain dark grey border with the object's name, the imager's name and the scope/camera used. That appears in the frame part. And that's it. There are no sub boxes or other garish intrusions on the careful composition that the imager has spent many, many hours trying to perfect. There is nothing else on the page.

On a separate page there is a small version of the image reproduced with the objects indicated by catalogue number and a few words about the capture.

It seems to me that this shows respect for the image, the imager and, most importantly of all, the beautiful object depicted. You can enjoy them in a bit of visual peace and quiet.

I wonder what others think of this?

Olly

Peter, I'm **** at that sort of thing but will have a try when I get a sec. (Redocorating a room during full moon week. Gotta get it done!) My scanner no longer likes my computer but I will see what I can do.

Olly

It's a nice idea Olly, although in Astronomy Now we're a bit tight for space to feature too many images in the gallery as a full page. However I'll discuss it with the designer, as full page pictures do look really nice. I kind of wanted to do something like that for our picture of the month on the back page, but it hasn't quite worked out like that. The other problem is that some of the pictures we get sent in aren't always at print resolution, at least not sufficient for a full page, so we're sometimes forced to feature them smaller than I'd prefer. I always try and encourage people to send in their full-res versions, rather than screen-res.

One thing I did want to ask everyone is, do you think having a picture of the month is important? Or would you prefer all the readers' images to be handled evenly?

And don't forget to keep sending in your pictures to AN's gallery!

Keith, AN

Personally, I like the POM format, and the readers gallery.

Similar to the POW that we do, it shows off what you think is the best picture you've received.

I don't have any issues with resizing pictures for publication - as you say there are many reasons why you have to print them smaller.

But I do think that should be untouched apart from resizing - i.e. no cropping, no overlapping etc.

There is something special about having a picture published (hi or low resolution) actually on paper - being on a cover disc is one thing - printed is something all together different.

Ant

I like Olly's idea too. It's not so good when you've spent ages framing an image to have it then cropped!

Picture of the month is also good, as it gives a nice sense of healthy competition and makes you up your game.

Cheers

Rob

Archived