Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grr! pipped at the post

Been bidding on a celestron x2 ultima sv barlow on ebay, last 5 seconds some swine jumps in with a £46 bid no time to increase.

Needless to say my hand aches after having an arguement with the wall,was very nearly my beloved pc.

Bidding don't you just love it :rolleyes:

Steve

Yeah. I was watching this one. With 20 seconds to go I placed a bid that was higher than the winning bid, but for some reason the bid didn't register... :):mad:

You probably placed the same maximum bid as the person who won the auction.

Just a tought :rolleyes:.

And just place a bid for the most you are prepared to pay (plus the extra penny) and then walk away. If you lose, nevermind, there will be something else. It's the people that get into bidding wars that end up paying more than the item is worth or worse still, paying more than the new price.

And i wouldn't beat yourself up about that Ultima, £46 is not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination. Had you had time to counter you could of paid £50+. They come up for as low as £30 but mostly around the £40 mark on UK Buy'n'sell. Just keep your eyes peeled.

I was reading an interesting pop-psychology book that had a good article on this. Bidding wars happen because people tend to value things they own more than things they don't own. Once you see your bid as the winning bid you start to feel you "own" the item so it's suddenly more valuable than your maximum bid that you previously valued it at, so you will be willing to bid more.

Trouble is, once someone outbids you the first time, the other person now thinks they "own" the item, so it's more valuable to them, so when you outbid them....well you know the rest. :rolleyes:

Snipes are useful, I use auctionsniper.com (make sure you use the secure login feature, by default it doesnt use that), they work on the principal that people don't always put in their maximum maximum first time (they will usually come back to up their bid if outbid..see above), so if you outbid them with only a few seconds left, they cant up their bid. The issue here is, if everyone uses snipers then the advantage gets eroded...especially on astro gear which I might be bidding on anyway - so stop using snipers everyone! :)

(by the way it wasn't me that bought "your" eyepiece, though I did see it on the site a few days ago)

And just place a bid for the most you are prepared to pay (plus the extra penny) and then walk away. If you lose, nevermind, there will be something else. It's the people that get into bidding wars that end up paying more than the item is worth or worse still, paying more than the new price.

And i wouldn't beat yourself up about that Ultima, £46 is not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination. Had you had time to counter you could of paid £50+. They come up for as low as £30 but mostly around the £40 mark on UK Buy'n'sell. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Cheers Russ thanks for the info i'll bear it in mind.

Steve

try this sniper Goofbay - eBay Tools, eBay Misspellings, eBay Typos, eBay Sniper, eBay Bargains you can put in the maximum amount youre willing to pay and set it to bid for you in the last 10, 5 or 3 seconds (or if youre really sadistic the last second) This way if you get beaten it wasnt meant to be... I used to use goofbay and won everything i bid on, usually in the last second or so... probably how you got beaten to the ultima

Archived