Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

cloud9

Keeping the Darned Thing Straight...

Hi everybody.

I got this telescope a while back Buy National Geographic 76mm Newtonian Telescope. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for ..

The huge problem i've got is that when i finally get the telescope lined up with something it promptly moves away again. The mechanism on the scope to keep it still doesn't seem to work particularly well so unless i keep both hands on the scope to keep it still it just moves about all the time making lining up almost impossible.

Any help? Are the any ways i can keep it still?

Hi, well I can only suggest checking everything for slack bolts & play in the various

joints. You could try hanging a weight from the tripod, it needs to just touch the

ground so its not swinging, this may help stability a bit. Good luck, Ed.

Edit : just looked at the link to your scope. 525x magnification is WAY too high for almost any telescope, you can see

a lot at up to 100x, perhaps a bit more with your 76mm mirror. Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502

Edit : just looked at the link to your scope. 525x magnification is WAY too high for almost any telescope, you can see

a lot at up to 100x, perhaps a bit more with your 76mm mirror. Ed.

Hmmm... I should think so. I have a SW 200p and that has a potential max of 400x and that is on a perfect night... I still wouldnt use that high, its just not that practical!

have you tightened everything including that little bar... If that doesnt work... try getting some of those elasticated gym weights

( Strap On Arm and Leg Weights - Blue 0.45kg (1lb) - LOW PRICES & FREE DELIVERY )

Maybe that will help with counter balancing

Just a thought !

I'd give that scope away to a favourite nephew or someone and write it off to experience. Then get a Skywatcher 130P with a right ascension drive. Just my two pennies worth but I really don't rate those Argos scopes - mostly kids toys. :rolleyes:

It is such a shame that you got one of those telescopes for Christmas. They probably put a lot of new astronomers off astronomy forever. The Skywatcher 130P costs about the same as the National Geographic telescope (Skywatcher also sell a version of the same at £79.99) and is worth every penny.

Try tightening up the bolts holding the legs of tripod and hang a weight from the centre brace to help stabilise the mount.

If you fancy a bit of diy you could built a dobsonian mount for the telescope. The KidsPeek II dobsonian mount could be scaled down to suit your smaller telescope.

Peter

Hi. Cloud9,

I have to agree with Brantuk.

I just wish you had asked on the forum before you bought the scope. The mount would have put most off it.

You could persevere and beef up the mount, which will make life easier for you. People have enjoyed using the 78mm scope, but I think their mounts were a lot sturdier.

One of my first telescopes was a Tasco 60mm refractor many years ago. The mount was the same as yours, and It was spoiling my enjoyment so much, I dispensed with it, put a pillow on a wall, and rested the tube on that. It was Ideal for scanning around the moon, as long as it wasn't too high in the sky.

Good luck.

Ron.

I wasnt going to say anything... The poor Bloke still has this telescope and doesnt want to rid of it :rolleyes:

Be positive and lest help him solve the problem

if you want to keep it, then after checking everything is tight, use maybe just the 20mm eyepiece on its own (no barlow) and see how you go. I am assuming you are aware of the rotation of the Earth making targets move across the field of view and the higher the magnification, the quicker this happens.

an option to improve the sturdiness would be to make a dobsonian type mount. search online and you'll see lots of options. assuming the tripod is the problem (likely) you could also use the 'fork' off the tripod and mount it on a home made 'pier' or even adapt a fencepost in your garden or similar. this would give a much more stable view - or even just try it on another tripod - maybe you could adapt it to fit a normal camera tripod?

on the whole I agree that if you can get your money back, do so. if you cannot, another scope would still be far more satisfying (you could get the one Brantuk - Kim suggested for about £100 used off this forum if you have 50+ posts).

Edited by Moonshane

I wasnt going to say anything... The poor Bloke still has this telescope and doesnt want to rid of it :)

Be positive and lest help him solve the problem

Right :rolleyes:, the main issue with these high street scopes is that dam mount, its what I call a (wobbly pod). I have had at least 6 of these through my hands over the years from disgruntalled owners wondering if i can fix them. First thing I do is strip the yoke/fork from the tripod head, clean of all that dreadfull GLUPY greasy stuff. Once the grease has been removed, you wil notice quite a bit of play between the yoke boss and the tripod head hole, what i do is find some suitable packing to fit, a stiff fit is good as before reassembly, some good grease should be applied to the inner and outer surfaces of the packing making a much more stable movement.

All the previous advise about tightening screws and bolts plus hanging wieghts should also be used to hopefully help you enjoy using the scope.

Bob

Ok, thanks everyone for your advice :rolleyes:, ill be trying all of it out tonight.

Yeah, the scope isn't exactly the best and ive had quite a few problems with it, and i was looking at the moon through it last night and it was just a fuzzy white ball but i just simply haven't got enough money for a new scope yet but i will definitely be looking for one of the scopes mentioned above maybe in a year or so.

Edited by cloud9

Ok, thanks everyone for your advice :rolleyes:, ill be trying all of it out tonight.

Yeah, the scope isn't exactly the best and ive had quite a few problems with it, and i was looking at the moon through it last night and it was just a fuzzy white ball but i just simply haven't got enough money for a new scope yet but i will definitely be looking for one of the scopes mentioned above maybe in a year or so.

I am suprised that you could only see a fuzzy white ball when you were looking at the moon. Are you sure that you had your telescope focussed correctly?

Peter

I am suprised that you could only see a fuzzy white ball when you were looking at the moon. Are you sure that you had your telescope focussed correctly?

Peter

Well i believe so, i havent really done much to it since i got it so if it needs manually focussing then thats probably my problem but i wouldn't have the first idea how to focus it if thats the case.

As you probably notice i am a complete amatuer at this kind of thing.

sgazer - No, i got it for Christmas so it's well out of warranty. Ive been trying for the last 6 months to get something meaningful from it but im just failing hopelessly. Although i think its more my problem than the scope tbh because i really don't know what im doing.

Edited by cloud9

where do you live (approx). I'd be happy to try and help if you wanted to call over. I'm near Manchester, England.

Well i believe so, i havent really done much to it since i got it so if it needs manually focussing then thats probably my problem but i wouldn't have the first idea how to focus it if thats the case.

To focus the image just turn one of the two knobs either side of the eyepiece at the bottom while looking at the moon or whatever. The eyepiece should slide in and out a bit and the focus should change :rolleyes:

where do you live (approx). I'd be happy to try and help if you wanted to call over. I'm near Manchester, England.

I live in Maidstone in Kent :)

To focus the image just turn one of the two knobs either side of the eyepiece at the bottom while looking at the moon or whatever. The eyepiece should slide in and out a bit and the focus should change :rolleyes:

Oh right yeah, i have been doing that but it doesn't make much difference, only a little :).

try lifting the eyepiece out a little from it's natural resting place. does this improve the view? if so you might be able to safely clamp it there or buy a short extension tube to help.

Oh right yeah, i have been doing that but it doesn't make much difference, only a little

Don't try moving the focus knobs too quickly, just a little at time, to see how the focus changes. Also aim the telescope at a distant object at least a mile or so away, if you try focussing on something too close it may be out of the range of the focusser. Telescopes are designed for looking at things a long way away.

Peter

I suggested that it may need collimating, so if someone lives near kent could they help him i would but im in portsmouth :rolleyes:

Hi all again.

I took it out tonight to try again with the moon but this time i didn't use the barlow lens or image erector that it had come with but instead i just used an eyepiece and the view was a lot better. My best results came from the 12.5mm where i could get clear detail which was really exciting!

So i swapped with the 4mm but i was greeted with just a white haze and really blurry.

Have you tried to find out if there is an Astronomical Society in Maidstone C9? It seems likely there will be one, so perhaps a visit to the local Library will provide some help in locating them.

You don't have to join if you would rather not, but they will be only too pleased to give you some help. They will Identify what the problems are, if any. It may be a simple solution which they will Identify and fix for you.

Ron.

No i havent yet but i think i will definitely have a look at some point this week, a quick internet search wields nothing though.

Get to a local Astro Soc!! Someone there ought to be able to advise about the basic usage. Maybe also check the collimation, though I doubt it would be adjustable.

Federation of Astronomical Societies - Member Societies

There would seem to be several that you might be able to get to.

All the best, if all you can ever find or look at is the moon, I wouldn't be too dissappoinmted. For the best views avoid the moon when it is full as the contrast on craters is at the minimum. Get one of these to help you find your way round... Sky & Telescope's Field Map of the Moon: Amazon.co.uk: Gary Seronik, Antonin Rukl: Books

PEterW