Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Choosing a dark site?!?!

Good morning campers.

I went out last night to to find a suitable Dark site for my future viewings, Time was about 12.30, I wanted to see the comet primarily.

I was hoping to see a greater amount of stars where I went.

It is about 4 miles away from any street lamps elevated somewhat, but it was not very good at all!

I will have to go back when there is less cloud around but even in the large expanses that were viewable ( right up) it was still poor.

What do you peeps look for in a perfect Dark site?

Do any of you know of a perfect dark sites around North Hampshire??? ( long shot but if you don't ask you never know!)

Hi, well its tough finding good dark (ish!) places. What you are doing is best, driving around at night & looking. I don't know if you are in a local astro club, but they would

be likely to know where is a decent site. Good luck ! Ed.

I think I did pass, what I believe to be people stargazing - car pulled in to a field and boot up - but this day and age, you never know what people are doing!!!

Thank you for the reply.

wonderful dark sky = if there are some clouds, they are darker than the sky background

I've been under a wonderful dark sky only in high mountain (Alpes, italy) and in kenya (sealevel)

ciao

dan

Archived