Narrowband

Aging hobby?

Michael Rapley

Childhood fascination re-ignited in me when I was 18. I had been through a few hobbies by then and knew how to splash my cash! So I bought a scope, then joined SGL (wrong order, I know!).

I think, as has been said, the social expectations repress real passions and everyone ends up going ot the club..... They're only rediscovered a few years later when they have time and cash again, hence very few astronomers in our age bracket, sadly.

Andrew

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's reasurring to see the replies here from younger members :rolleyes: Oh and i'm not exactly old myself in 33.

The disposble income thing is an illusion i think. Yes you can spend a fortune on this hobby if you want, or for less than the cost of a PS3 you can get a skywatcher 130p goto. How many kids get PS3s for presents? I think the hobby just isn't seen as cool. I for one am glad we all know better :)

It could also be the instant gratification of a computer game. Getting exciting results from a telescope requires at least a modicum of patience - the clouds, waiting for Saturn to clear the tree in the garden, etc. And no loud noises.

I used to wonder if kids were put off astronomy by the cold weather, but there are a dozen youngsters who hang around the bus stop at the end of our road in mid winter, so it can't be that.

I was reading astronomy books when I was 9 but I didn't start looking at the sky with binns or a telescope until I was 47, when my husband finally got fed up of me saying how much I wanted a telescope and finally bought me one - he took a longtime to catch on!

Now he is fed up of me saying ' I would really like....'!

My 7 year old grandson is keen on astronomy. His teacher keeps telling him the sun is the biggest star, which makes him hop with frustration! He says he's tried to tell her about the pistol star and Eta Carina, but she's having none of it.

Then his friends insist that Mars is the biggest planet... So astronomy is a lonely experience for him so far... Shame!

Im only 20, been into it since i was about 12 with a break for my GCSE and early college period, now im back into it.

I can see why its mainly older people, not least because of the cost of a decent setup and the fact that many see it as quite nerdy, allthough everyone who has looked through my scope is amazed at what you can see

I dont know anyone else my age into astronomy, especially not astrophotography..

Ain't that the truth? I didn't go as far as MSc, but I got my BSc in the same thing last century. The maths never really jumped out at me like it should have. Ultimately, I was more interested in the pretty pictures than the dry stuff. I guess that's why I became a photographer.

I used to feel the same way, but the elegance and simplicity in maxwells equations, or the downright absurdity of quantum physics has really started to excite me this year. It must be a sign i'm beyond saving, lol

I still enjoy a pretty picture, but i'm starting to get a bit twitchy when it doesn't include some numbers :rolleyes:

I was reading astronomy books when I was 9 but I didn't start looking at the sky with binns or a telescope until I was 47, when my husband finally got fed up of me saying how much I wanted a telescope and finally bought me one - he took a longtime to catch on!

Now he is fed up of me saying ' I would really like....'!

LOL! now don't that sound familiar StarLady more less the path i followed especailly pestering Gillian for a 'Scope', now i'm pestering for another one later this year prefably before winter :rolleyes:

I think its all to do with timing, cash and opportunity

Kids have imagination and look at the stars with wonder, but when they hit the teens they have other things on their minds school, exams, the opposite sex etc

Most people dont know an amateur astronomer to get them hooked...If they are really keen their parents buy them a cheap toy scope that shows nothing but points of light...how does that compaire to a PS3?

Later on in life they start to understand the science of the universe and get back into it, this time spending a bit more money and time.

I'm 36 and have always had an interest in the stars but have had no one to mentor me or show me a view through a good scope until I bought myself one...now im showing wife/parents/inlaws/friends the wonders as they have never had the oppotunity before (my mother in law was amazed and stunned into silence at the site of Saturn!)

I think its up to us to show as many kids as possible the wonders!

Bryndalf is right about showing kids the wonders of the universe - I took my ETX over to my sister in law's place at Christmas and my nephews begged me to go back the next night!

I got them an Astromaster and some ep's off e-bay, maybe they will join the Lounge in a few years, who knows?

I think the 'removal' of the night sky has something to do with it. Most people in their 20's coming back from clubs in the early hours will not see anything if they look upwards because they'll see an orange blanket with a couple of bright stars at most. The thought of doing what the public think that we do (looking at white dots through a telescope) doesn't appeal to me at all.

Only once you've either (a) gone to a truly dark site, or (:rolleyes: got a decent imaging setup, can one really appreciate what´s out there. And that´s probably about 1% of the population?

Just my ten cents.

An interesting discussion - generally the hobby is occupied by an older generation, but there are a lot of younger people getting involved.

Regarding teenagers, I'm not sure astronomy/science has ever been particularly 'cool' - so i don't think there are any less interested in astronomy now than there were when i was a teenager (yes i can just about remember that far back).

I don't think there was ever a golden age when there were lots of young people interested in astronomy.

I've been to quite a few schools to help with their astronomy/space clubs, and there is a lot of genuine real interest from the kids there - and a lot of them are doing real practical astronomy.

/callump

It's my belief many "technical" hobbies are aging badly. I usually refer to the cause as "the playstation generation" or Virtual instant gratification. I may be completely wrong but my observations over the years seem to support it.

Wayne...

Hey all, I am 33 next month and I was into astronomy when I was 14 - 17, my parents bought me a Red Tasco 60mm refractor, I enjoyed this but like I mentioned in a early post of mine, I then had other interests and trying to get myself an education, get a career, girls, so I tended to drift to casual looking now and again. Plus advice and help was limited, unlike today with this forum and the net to get help.

I then got back into it 18 months ago when I did a course in the uni as part of the IYA, but unfortunately the course did not included many young people (well younger than me..lol), I then got myself the 130p syncscan, then a webcam, then some filters, then the webcam modified, had fun observing, then imaging, and now I feel that the hobby is here to stay as the feeling of when it comes together is wonderful, like my M57 image, but when it goes wrong on a night, well I think we all know that feeling of a what feels like a wasted night.

I think it is a shame the young dont get into astronomy more, rather than trying to fit in with popular opinion, though which I never did mind, I was alway my own person, I didnt smoke, drink, do drugs, crime and always I would have respect for people and there hobbies/interests. Though I am also a computer and retro games and console geek, but there we go we all cant be perfect.....lol.

All my kids are part of the playstation era,me too but i always tried to get them interested in other things ..managed to get my eldest daughter into playing electric guitar now she plays in a band and rocks the house so happy there ..my son is still rapped up in the playstation 3 but my youngest daughter wants a scope for her birthday this happend as my dad had a cheap refracter at his house in normandy and at age 7 she looked at the moon and was hooked shes 11 now and still talks about it :rolleyes:

my 7yr old is fascinated by the sky, but his attention span is quite poor, just like his mum, :rolleyes:. a month or three back he loved looking at Saturn and the moon but now he is long in bed. agree totally about tech hobbies, my dad is a ham radio, an old GM3 for those in the know; he despairs at my age group for showing no interest in his hobby but admittedly he does keep up and probably knows more about computers and linux than i ever will - something to do with available time??. if/when i get to his age, i will no doubt be a grumpy old git like him and moan about my son's generation - but not there yet!

I think it is a shame the young dont get into astronomy more, rather than trying to fit in with popular opinion, though which I never did mind, I was alway my own person, I didnt smoke, drink, do drugs, crime and always I would have respect for people and there hobbies/interests. Though I am also a computer and retro games and console geek, but there we go we all cant be perfect.....lol.

Retro is good. My computer era was the early 80's Very early 80's!

I think the difference is back then we HAD to learn about it to progress. Even writing our own games, and other stuff. Or in my case more about improving electronics skills and designing and building add ons as that was my prime interest.

Those days are gone! Through there not really being a need, and also the hardware is less accessible to the tinkerer. The death of the ISA bus put low level tinkering to bed.

This is not directly related to Astronomy of course, but I feel as I stated earlier the modern era does not seem to encourage a pioneering spirit or a will to learn technical hobbies in a lot of cases so there may be some crossover.

A few weeks ago my 6yr old daughter and I visited a local camera shop that happened to have a row of box brownies displayed on a high shelf. I told her a story of how I'd gotten into trouble for taking one apart when I was 4 or 5. I guess that when my tinkering started.

I am however glad when I see a young person show a real will to learn from grassroots level like I am now with Astonomy being a very late starter!

Wayne...

Definitely agree on everyone who commented on light pollution being a major factor. I had the pleasure a few years back to visit a remote 'town' (which consisted of about 25 residents) in the Australian outback. Night fell and even though I wasn't big into astronomy back then my god the night sky was wonderful. Not just single stars like we see with the naked eye in cities in the UK but clouds and clusters of them, I wish now I'd have had a pair of binoculars.

Maybe it's also dependant not just on age but gender also. I know in my Physics A-level class it was all males, with a male teacher. Also judging from peoples avatars on here there seems to be a larger number of chaps to ladies.

I think ultimately it comes down to the ability to think outside of your head for a moment, to research and appreciate what you're actually seeing. Personally I love to try and visualize myself zooming through space to what I'm seeing, it's not just a pinpoint of light, but a whole other world!

kNAUR7NQCLA

Possibly then best movie intro ever?!

I think one should resist the old "blame the parents" - But it seems that the latter are busier than ever (through necessity) these days. In compensation, kids have more "organised activities", but far less freedom to "roam". If you don't have an astro-savvy parent, you may be e.g. quite unaware of the joys of astronomy. :) I also learned quite a lot (of electronics) from the local "eccentric old guy" who repaired TVs in his shed. I doubt kids of primary(!) school age would NOW be actively encouraged in such liaisons - Nevermind the "health and safety" issues re. the, back then, VALVE sized voltages. :)

I suppose my early "literary" diet consisted of my Dad's copies of "Practical Wireless" and the "Observer's Book" series. And for some reason, at eight or nine years old, I decided to add to the collection, with a certain small blue volume by one... Patrick Moore. ;) Without criticism (for I am not WELL read) I find many homes, into which I now invited, have NO books. For various reasons, my childhood experience of being parented was a bit "hit or miss", but there were always books... :)

Anyway, back to the shed - And my sundry eccentricities... :rolleyes:

Retro is good. My computer era was the early 80's Very early 80's!

I think the difference is back then we HAD to learn about it to progress. Even writing our own games, and other stuff. Or in my case more about improving electronics skills and designing and building add ons as that was my prime interest.

Those days are gone! Through there not really being a need, and also the hardware is less accessible to the tinkerer. The death of the ISA bus put low level tinkering to bed.

This is not directly related to Astronomy of course, but I feel as I stated earlier the modern era does not seem to encourage a pioneering spirit or a will to learn technical hobbies in a lot of cases so there may be some crossover.

A few weeks ago my 6yr old daughter and I visited a local camera shop that happened to have a row of box brownies displayed on a high shelf. I told her a story of how I'd gotten into trouble for taking one apart when I was 4 or 5. I guess that when my tinkering started.

I am however glad when I see a young person show a real will to learn from grassroots level like I am now with Astonomy being a very late starter!

Wayne...

I agree with that, I also started with a Commodore 64 back around 82 I think, my father's friend, then had my own 18 months later. I learnt a awful lot back then, as a lot of it was all text based rather than GUI (graphical user interface) operated. Even the Amiga had a lot of typing like Dark basic which I dabbled in a bit, but sadly forgot a good bit now :rolleyes:.

I think it is always good to see the new generation take an interest in something that is hands on and practical as I believe it is the only way to learn stuff.

I try to keep it going with my own daughter. In fact I would not be here posting this or even own a telescope without her showing an interest. I do live in hope as already at her school (Year 1) she has had a visiting mobile planetarium and some form of video conference with NASA.

We still dabble in BASIC we picked up a few of the Picaxe chips and have fun blinking LED's and driving servo's Just stuff to keep a 6yr olds attention. Helps me keep my hands in a little too even if I was more a Z80 Assembler sort of guy way back, 68000 too. But thats fair too obscure for a 6 yr old.

We may yet use the Picaxe to create a motorised focuser that will at least create a connection with real life applications.

Wayne....

...but there were always books... :)

Sounds just like my childhood. By choice, i had more books than toys. :)

Regarding age and astronomy, i suppose there are various reasons why people (of any age) do or do not become interested in something which interests others. For instance, some of my friends wonder how i can be so fascinated by the night sky, while i, in turn, wonder how they can be so fascinated by shopping for shoes and reading glamor magazines. :rolleyes: To each their own, though.. makes life much more interesting. :)

My oldest Conor (12) just comes out with "Flamin Telesope..." hes not interested LOL, The next one down Ethan (10) does make the right OO's and AH's when looking at the moon or Saturn so there is hope there Logan at 2 1/2 views the tripod as a climbing frame, ! Ruby-Rose is 2 weeks and she is a Star already !!! :rolleyes:

Archived