SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Another old newbie

gary19

Hi all,

Been reading these forums for weeks now, 'bout time I introduced myself.

Been interested in astronomy since I was at school, some 40 years ago. Always read science fiction and It's great to see all those predictions in fiction come true over the years.

I really don't know why it's taken me so long to get round to thinking about getting a scope and getting out there amongst the stars for real.

Anyway almost ready to chose my first scope and join these ranks for proper. Bear with me as I'm sure there will be lots of questions.

thanks in anticipation,

Gary

Welcome.

Be prepared to change your mind about 10 times at to what scope you want to get. Everyone on here has their favorite scopes and will give a very good idea of the pros and cons of whatever scope you go for.

I was thinking of a Celestron C100-ED Apo to get started. They seem to be discounted quite heavily at the moment, probably being discontinued.

Like the idea of finding my own way among the stars to start with rather than relying on GOTO reflector.

Hi Gary

Welcome to SGL!

I agree that a good quality ED scope is a good start - I'll guarantee that you'll want another scope in due course (something with more aperture) but will probably retain the ED forever as it will be superb on doubles, planets and the moon - and pretty good on DSOs too for the aperture it has.

Being a newbie myself, I am sure you know more about the constellations etc than I ever will and this will stand you in good stead when searching for things. i have to try and find the constellations first - which is the Manchester area can sometimes be a struggle too!

Hi Gary,

A big welcome from me to the forum. You can't do enough research in my opinion on what kit to buy. I am always interested in what people choose and why. I'm in the process of collecting some gear together hence my desire for attending this forum's own 'Salisbury Star Party' to do some research on eyepieces. There is a lot of kit out there with prices to match, so for me trying to get the right kit for what I want to do without falling prey to aperture fever is something that I'm interested in achieving. It may sound obvious but it does help to look through some of this stuff to help manage expectations!

Clear skies my friend and let me know what kit you decide upon.

James

Archived