Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Second hand?

Hi all,

Thinking of getting something second hand to put me on till I can make a "PURCHASE", however, can anyone tell me if there are any guidelines/rules as such for buying equipment like this. I could really do with a bit of help here as I'm such a noob.

Thanks

Scotty :rolleyes:

Telescopes usually have a very long life if looked after properly, so buying used ain't a huge risk. Just make sure the optics are sound, maybe even ask for a test seeing if your buying locally.

It's also wise to buy of fellow astronomers, at lest then you know theres a 95% chance that the scope has been looked after

This site has alot of second hand equipment http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

Don't worry too much about minor dents on the tube, first thing I did when I got my dob was put a dent in it by kicking a pair of trainers across the floor in temper as I fell over them lol.

I'm sure others who know more will contribute to your query.

Kain

If you feel like taking a chance you can usually get good deals from eBay.

I bought 2 scopes from eBay:

Optex 8" dob - £250 incl postage and eyepieces [This is the scope I use most of the time]

Orion Optics SA150 6" scope - £80 incl postage and eyepieces [The primary mirror was pretty badly corroded but it came with 6 decent eyepieces and a barlow so seemed worth it and I gave the scope and a couple of EPs to my dad to get him started]

Cheers

Paul

I'm also a newcomer to astronomy but one of the first lessons I learned was beware of Ebay. Steer well clear of all those Seban and un named reflectors that abound on there. If you see a scope that you fancy use Google to look for reviews of it and, better still ask the wise heads on these forums. Astro buy/sell would be much safer as the equipment is almost always stuff used by people who know what they're doing.

I'm also a newcomer to astronomy but one of the first lessons I learned was beware of Ebay. Steer well clear of all those Seban and un named reflectors that abound on there. If you see a scope that you fancy use Google to look for reviews of it and, better still ask the wise heads on these forums. Astro buy/sell would be much safer as the equipment is almost always stuff used by people who know what they're doing.

While there is nothing wrong with e.bay per se, you do need to know exactly what you are buying there - 80-90% of the scopes on there are not worth bothing with and, as a newcomer, it is quite difficult to tell them apart from the good ones. Some of the sellers on e.bay also make rather exagerrated claims for their equipment and leave out important details about the specfication of their scopes.

I think the advice to stick to Astro buy and sell is sound - also feel free to ask for advice on particular equipment here - SGL members have masses of expereince between them and tend to respond amazingly quickly to requests for advice.

John,

North Somerset

Yes, well like I said you do take chances with eBay. Good deals are there to be had IF you know what you're looking for and IF you do your research.

Luckily I'm fairly experienced when it comes to both buying and selling on the site but if you're not then I'd suggest you follow the advice of the others and buy from the Astro Buy Sell or from here.

Don't forget to ask advice on here before parting with your hard earned dosh :rolleyes:

Cheers

Paul

The best description of eBay I've come across was given by an American dealer: "a frontier town without a sheriff." Watch out most of all for items apparently photographed in dimly lit kitchens by sellers who say: "I don't really know anything about telescopes but I'll try to answer your questions." And 100% positive feedback doesn't necessarily guarantee anything.

Watch out for postings on SGL marked "Heads Up" - this is where members have spotted what looks like a good deal somewhere and bring it to the attention of others - usually after deciding that they don't want it / can't afford it themselves of course !!!.

John,

North Somerset

Thanks for the advices fellas. :D Yes the last HEADS UPS was for a set up that would have been perfect for me, the seller was 1-2 miles from me and I wasnt too surprised to see it already gone. It wasnt till after I realised what all the smilies and exclamation marks in the post were about!! MOST cynical indeed. (You know who you are! :rolleyes:)

Scotty

usually after deciding that they don't want it / can't afford it themselves of course !!!.

Thats a bit cynical John. True, but still cynical..... :rolleyes:

You are right Gaz - it was a bit cynical - after all who am I to talk - I posted a "heads up" here a few weeks ago for an ED100 and then proceeded to buy the darn thing myself !!.

John,

North Somerset

As I've said a few times, I am perfectly happy with both of my scopes, which I bought on Canada Wide Astronomy Buy and Sell, the grandfather of the UK one. Most of the people buying and selling here are actual astronomers and dealers who know an objective from a hole in the ground.

Archived