SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First draft, Milky Way mosaic

Here's a first draft mosaic image of the Milky Way taken from Selsey Bill. Lots of plane and satellite trails which I've got the means to remove in due course. The original stretches up just to the north of Cygnus but there are some nasty gradients in there to deal with first. This is approx 1/3rd original linear size (1/9th area size).

C_IMG_2042_stitch-3-crop-1600.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete...

I know its just a rough but you can see its going to stunning (not that it isnt already)...

Definitely something to "shoot for..." and if I can get anywhere close I will be chuffed...

I was hoping for my first attempt at usign the EQ3 Po based widefield setup away from hoem tonight but looks like theres no chance... I had even bough another piece of glass to compliment the nifty 50...

I still can't decide between two different sites for the "location"....

Peter...

Hi Pete thats come together really well with the Southern end showing really well. I would maybe tone down the saturation as you are getting some chrominance noise.

Regards

Kevin

Not a lot of point in a first draft really is there Kevin.

Sorry, that came across as rather abrupt (not a lot of sleep over the last couple of weeks!). The image literally was run through MS ICE and had a quick adjustment before heading out to the pub with some mates :)

The individual frames each have a gradient that has proved troublesome to remove, even with flats. Then there's the fact that even seaward horizons have light pollution (the band of orange cloud that is visible is being illuminated by France!) so there's quite a lot of work to get it all looking right.

It's been a beautiful week weather wise with some really good views of the crescent moon and Venus. Despite being nice and clear it was still difficult to make out the Milkyway when I was down in Dorset. Despite not being astro dark it's come out well. Roll on the Autumn and longer nights. :)

Regards

Kevin

That's a fine image already, and the finished article will be excellent.

I can imagine the gradient issues you've had!

How have you approached them? Software like Gradient Xterminator runs into trouble when the FOV is full of stars.

Cheers

Rob

Any tips gratefully recieved as I have clearing skies and will be heading to the coast for a sea level southern horizon tonight with the EQ3 Pro and the Modded 1000D and nifty50 and the 500D with the 35-105 on a static tripod... and the D200 in case theres any NLC activity behind me...

Peter...

Thanks all. I used MS ICE for this 'quick' build but although it gives a good superficial result, I think it'll be resorting to a manual process to bring the final one to completion - and this will take some time. I've got a set of Cyg-Lyr shots whihc I took from my backgarden and the rest were taken down on the coast, overlooking the sea. Looking at the thumbnails of the images shows that the garden shots are orange and the sea shots are dark grey in colour. I live about a 1/4 of a mile from the sea and there are only a couple of street lights between us - but that's all it takes.

GradX is ok but again, I'm not that happy with the results. Bizzarely, even flatfielding doesn't appear to work that well. I should have plenty to do on a rainy day :)

Fortunately, the image scale gives me quite a lot of overlap between shots so this should help enormously.

• 2 years later...

Archived