Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I want a good telescope that is not bulky and easy to move around.

:rolleyes: I just wish i could like know what you guys are on about and join in.

Hey listen wee man if you want to know what folk are talking about and to find out what things mean JUST ASK :D

I am sure all of the good people of SGL wiil help in explaining things for you. (But you gotta ask)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thing is experience. Lots of people here have been doing this for years and years. It takes time for it to all soak in. Like jamie says, if you dont understand something just ask and someone will explain it to you. We all started knowing nothing, and we only learnt what we did by asking questions

Some mounts are better than others. Also different mounts have different load capacities and different weights. From synta (skywatcher) there are EQ1's EQ2's EQ3/2's EQ5's HEQ5's and EQ6's, each is heavier than the last and is able to take bigger and bigger telescopes. If your mount isn't strong enough your telescope will wobble and will be hard to use, so the mount is an important part of a telescope system. The bigger the mount though the more expensive!

B&Q website doesn't have all there stock. At the stores themselves they have loads more stuff. My local B&Q's sell 6x4's for £99 and im sure yours does too

Hehe, objects move at sidereal rate, the tracking motor moves your telescope along the polar axis so the object stays in your view for as long as you like. It means you have to polar align your scope before you can use the motors but for things like planets it makes viewing much more enjoyable as you dont have to constantly mess with your telescope to keep objects in view. Motors are optional on all mounts up to the EQ5. The HEQ5 and EQ6 have them as standard. GOTO mounts by definition have tracking motors built in, but are much more expensive (usually)

Hi Carl,

It's from my experiance i would suggest keeping the scope you already have and learning the night sky with it before you folk out anymore cash on scopes mounts etc etc..

Can you not organise something with your mother so the scope can be kept down stairs? away from sleeping folks?

Also when people talk about mounts/Tripods it's with the intention of if you want to upgrade your scope often is the case from say from a small scope you need a bigger mount for a bigger telescope, also if astrophotography is on the cards you have to think about if the mount can be driven too..

Just my 1p worth

James

I want to upgrade my telscope so i can have a goto and, so i can obvioulsy see more objects in the night sky with more detail.I can`t even see any detail on jupiter or mars.And i can just see saturn. :rolleyes:

And i don`t think i can upgrade it that much.:lol:Iwas gong to buy a X2 barlow.Anyway is there anything that i can buy to upgrade my telescope to make it have more mag.Advice please.

Cheers

Carl

Imho your far better keeping what you have and learning the night sky without goto (Heads under the table before the goto bunch whack me) also get yourself a 2x barlow or even 3x barlow, remember pushing Mags up relies on the seeing conditions and other atmospherics and sometimes it's nearlly impossiable to get those high Mags in any scope..

Then again if you have money to burn you may aswell get the best..

all depends ,like anything in this world ppl will always comment on things like cameras , what they will do , the good points and bad points , the main thing you need to be sure of is , a steady mount , driven if possible , and EQ or just a plain ALT-AZ MOUNT, take a read on what type of mounts there are , both are ok for starters , the scope an ED 80 SKYWATCHER, nice and compact , good for the Moon , Planets and a FEW DEEP SKY OBJECTS , , knowledge can be piked up by readin g , like i did ,before i ever started imaging, its a slow process and a very enjoyable one , if you take your time ,

Rog

Carl

Firstly, your 114mm scope will show you plenty of the things you want to see. I can certainly see Saturn through my son's scope and that is exactly the same size.

What would be useful, though, is if you could take a picture and upload for us to look at. We'll then know what we and you are talking about.

So, I'm not going to advise you of what scope / mount to buy (sorry Steve and Adam :D ), instead I'll give you some general advice.

1) Ask questions - BUT make sure you know what you are asking about. Be explicit. By that I mean, a question such as "What scope should I buy?" is no good. As you have seen, you get answers that confuse you. Instead, ask "What scopes are good for planets and the moon, up to my budget of £300?". That way you will get answers that are targeted to your question.

2) Write down information - When you ask a question about a specific piece of terminology or technology, write the answer down in a notebook. When you come across that term again in a post, a quick glance at the book tells you what it means. You will find that after time, you won't need to refer to the book again for that one item, so onto the next! On cloudy nights, you can review your book, see what you know, see what's missing, and then ask questions (see 1 above :rolleyes: )

3) Lean the sky - there is no rush! The stars have been there for the last 13.5 billion years. I think they'll last for another couple of months!! Try taking one or two constellations at a time - especially now with winter on it's way. Look at the book / planisphere and try and identify the main stars in the sky. As a good test, try turning yourself 180 degrees, so instead of facing North, face South and see if you can still identify them. (Do you have a planisphere? If not, PM your address and I will send you mine as I no longer use it)

4) This one is more personal and may not apply to everyone, however - I am not now, nor have I ever been a 'gangsta'. If you really want to get on and get some serious responses to your questions, drop the TXT language. It makes very difficult reading and does not, in general, translate well to forum such as this.

5) Find a new home for you scope - and get it collimated. Is there a local Astro society near you? If so, I would recommend joining. As a junior, it should cost less than £20 for the year, and there you will find people most willing to help.

6) Patience.

Finally, don't go racking up large debts just yet. I doubt very much you have pushed the limits of your scope - there is plenty of time to spend once you get to that point!!!!

Kindest Regards

Archived