1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Two means to the same end ?

There are 2 scopes adjacent to each other on Astro Buy & Sell at the moment which make an interesting comparison, an Orion Argonaut Mak-Newt 6" and an Astro Physics Starfire 130 refractor.

With Astro Physics being who they are (7 year waiting list for a new one etc) it's perhaps not suprising that the asking price for the Starfire 130 is £3,950. Truly a wonderful scope so I've read.

But the Mak-Newt costs less than 1/10th as much at £375 and, as far as I can tell from reports I've read, would probably perform to within 90% maybe even 95% as well as the Astro Physics.

The mounting requirements for both are probably about the same and they are both F/6.

If money is no object then I guess I'd love an AP however, as it certainly is, I reckon the Mak-Newt would make a pretty worthy alternative.

I'd be interested in other views, especially from those that have used either of these as I'm basing my suppositions just on what I've read :)

Edited by John