SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ6 POWER SUPPLY CONNECTION

Went into Maplins today to enquire about "Regulated Main Power Unit" (Ref Code: XM19V) which would be needed to power a EQ6 Mount from a domestic circuit. Through recommendations made here on the forum, I looked at a 13.8V Regulated Mains Power Unit offering a supply of 10Amps (to cover future additional power needs like dew heaters, laptops etc). My two questions are these:

A) The blurb that Maplins has written to go with this power unit says that this product can be damaged by prolonged use. Is this true and if so how long have I got before it self destructs?

:) Can anyone tell me what you attach to the two binding post (one black, one red) that facilitates connection with the 'male' connection that is on the end of the lead that runs from the mount? I assume it is some kind of 'female' connection but have not seen one that connects to the above type of posts. Can you let me know where I could go to get this type ofconnection.

The staff at Maplins were helpful but I felt they were a little bit deficient on the technical side to give me an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

James

I have recently purchased that PS following recommendations on here. I have made up a lead consisting of a cigar lighter socket and two leads to their 4mm banana plugs, one red (positive) and the other black (negative). I the use the lead that came with the EQ6.

Dave

Edit: I forgot your first question. It will only destruct if used at the full 10A for a prolonged period. I measured the current with three dew heaters on full power and the current as far as I can remember was around 3A which would be no problem.

Dave, thank you for your suggestion. I did wonder if it was going to be a situation of making something up from bits and bobs, I will certainly give it a try.

Jamie, thank you also for your alternative suggestion. Reading the info on that product didn't reveal how long the cable was in total. Could you let me know?

Again, many thanks to you both.

James

Dave, thank you for your suggestion. I did wonder if it was going to be a situation of making something up from bits and bobs, I will certainly give it a try.

Jamie, thank you also for your alternative suggestion. Reading the info on that product didn't reveal how long the cable was in total. Could you let me know?

Again, many thanks to you both.

James

JBM

When you're using the mount on its own, you shouldn't be drawing more than 2 amps or so, so the PSU is well within its limits. Even with dew heaters and other devices which might draw a relatively high current, you should stay within the 'safe' output of the PSU.

However, do remember that these PSUs are NOT designed for external use. They are usually called 'bench supplies' and as the name suggests designed to be used internally, ie well away from moisture. If asked, I'm sure that Maplins would not recommend them for external use withoput additional protection from the elements. A large transformer such as is contained in a non-sealed PSU does not mix well with water!

HTH

Steve

Even though they rate it 10A it's not 10A continous these supplies are generally used for powering radio gear where the current requirements on Transmit are much higher than on Recieve... So they are really for intermittent duty....

They are Linears so are less efficient and generate a fair amount of heat when fully loaded.. If they are properly designed they should shutdown if they overheat... You could fit a fan to the rear heatsink to pull more current for longer...

Peter...

James

James

The cable's total length is about 4 meters long. That's the plug section and the unit section connected together....

Hope that helps....

Thanks everyone for your help!

SteveP: Reading the info on this product, it did mention that it needed to be used in a well ventilated area. Using this item at home 'under cover' is fine but I am fortunate to have access to a viewing site that has an electrical outlet which is where I want to do most of my viewing. However as you rightly point out, exposing this kind of product to any type of potential moisture will certainly help me drive home with an interesting hairstyle to say the least :icon_scratch::D. Thanks Steve for your advice.

Psychobilly: I only chose this product because other members appeared to be using it but the more I look at it, the more unsuitable it appears to be for my needs which are partly outdoors. This area is a bit of a minefield and I'm sure I read that its output supply was 'regulated'. Peter I think you've nailed it for me, in that it isn't really suitable for where I'm going to be using the kit most. Many thanks for technical advice. :)

Jamie: As you may have read above, I'm not going down the above product route so I shall be investing in your suggestion for home as its a simple product out of the bag and ready to use. For my observing site I shall pursue the leisure battery route which I can secure in a weather proof box. Thank you also for your help in coming back to me with the additional info. :mad:

Again, thanks for all the advice. It does confirm why this forum is such a great resource!

Clear skies guys!

James

James just to clear it up..

A regulated supply is one where the output voltage should stay fairly constant (ideally unchanging) over the full range of output current that the unit is capable of providing... even if the load is "changing" . As the Output current increases the Power that the "Regulator" part of the circiut needs to dissipate increases and this cause the unit to heat up... Its common on units like these not rated for "continous" duty to undersize the heatsink to keep the size and costs down...

Once the maximum current is exceeded, the unit can respond in any of a number of ways depending on how well it has been designed...

Peter...

Thanks for the additional information Peter. This is strangely one of the reason why I find astronomy so interesting because it introduces you to loads of 'other' information (...as if there wasn't enough to learn regarding just the cosmos :))

Again many thanks for your advice.

James

Archived