SkyMap Pro 11

I have just upgraded from an elderly SkyMap Pro 8 to 11. I loved it before. Now I'm in raptures. I know there are lots of planetaria out there but this one does it for me. I really enjoy planning with it, getting so much astrophysical data for things to be imaged, using the CCD calculator, printing finder charts for the Dob... great, great software.

Olly

Olly,

As a relative newbie, can you tell me the main difference between SkyMap Pro 11 and say Stellarium. For example can you use SkyMap to guide a mount or is it a resource for printing maps.

Many thanks James

Another vote for SkyMap (I'm on version 10). Easy to use, incredibly useful functions like logging observations and being able draw up observing lists of non-seen objects and best viewing times. With a bigger marketing budget I suspect if would be used a lot more across the world. It will drive your mount quite happily too and seems relatively glitch free.

Richard

Heh. I have just about every astro-app there is, but - believe it or not - I often find myself using Skyglobe when I need quick answers! :):icon_scratch:

It'll run on an abacus and is fast!

Of course, it can't control telescopes, and lacks almost every advanced function available within all modern apps, and the database is practically non-existent, but it's very handy when you're in a hurry and just want to know what or where something is.

SMP is great too.

Archived