Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

Jed Hirst

Hi Everybody

Hi, I'm Jed and I've been interested in Astronomy and Cosmology for many years. I've recently started to do some formal study wth the Open University - S282 Astronomy. At first thought the Maths and Physics might be too tough for me as I don't have much formal training in these areas, but it's not too bad once you get into it. I'm really enjoying the course now.

I was attracted to Stargazers Lounge by a recent post from Rosanella who was asking if anybody has any experience of studying with the University of Central Lancashire (UCLAN), who offer an Astronomy degree on distance-learning basis. I'm also considering UCLAN, so does anybody know anything about them?

Finally, (sorry to bug you with questions right at the beginning!) can anybody recommend a good place to get a cheap, beginner's telescope, maybe even second-hand one?

Thanks, and looking forward to chatting with you all,

Jed

Edited by Jed Hirst

Hi Jed, welcome to the forum.

Keep your eye on the for sale section, there's some very good scopes sold there, Iv'e purchased one. But you have to be quick, they go fast!

What sort of observing do you want to do, as this, and your budget will dictate what sort of scope you need.

Check out the Beginners forum, there's loads of good advice regarding buying a scope. And if you are not sure, ask, you will get good advice here.

Hi BAZ Senior & thanks for your advice. I'll definitely keep my eye on the for sale section.

Best wishes

Jed

Hi Jed and welcome to the group :D

Ask any questions you like - there's allways someone who will answer you.

Cheers

Hi Jed,

A very warm welcome to the forum :)

Hi Jed and welcome to the forum.

Clear skies and wishing you success in your studies.

James

Hi Jed,

A very warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Welcome Jed.

JohnH.

Hello and welcome Jed! The site sponsor First Light Optics are good people to talk to about nice new equipment if you can't find what you need second-hand! Also the sales and wants part of this forum is worth a gander!

Doc

Hi Jed!

Welcome to the group and hope you find all you're looking for!

Marc

Hi Jed,

Hello from a newbie! I'm also thinking about a course to give my enthusiasm some direction - I may take a look at the S282 module you mentioned.

Shaun.