Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade LPI

Hypernova

I have recently borrowed one of these webcam type things from a friend at the local astro club as he cannot seem to get good results when he uses it on his scope.

Now I was thinking of possibly carrying out some basic lunar and planetary imaging (LPI :D) on my dob if that is possible, I have had some success doing this with a digicam shooting stills and also AVIs whilst held up to the eyepiece.

Would this camera produce half decent results on my type of setup or would a scope with a tracking mount be required. I understand that images at the prime focus of the telescope so what kind of magnification and FOV would this make and would I need a barlow lens to get any good results?

Also what software is available for capturing the images from this camera? I have tried using Meade's own Autostar Suite and it was pants and I don't think I would be prepared to shell out for K3CCD Tools, could use on a trial basis I suppose but are there any alternatives.

Hi Tom

I've used the LPI with an skyliner 200 and it is possible to get images (so long as the shortest possible exposure times are used) because the software will track the target whilst it is in the fov. An example (withour barlow) is at http://stargazerslounge.com/members/axolotl-albums-lpi-pictures-picture365-jup-22jul08.jpg

It will also give very nice lunar pictures

Archived