Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Blug and Uk Taxes

irishbloke

Hi Brian,

From unhappy experience (and this is going back a few of years) ...

Calculate the import duty for "Astronomical equipment and accessories (excluding radio astronomy); parts and accessories" - the TARIC code is "9005900000", currently charged at 4.2% from the USA.

Add whatever customs clearance and delivery charges (Royal Mail will charge an additional £8 for the privilege of handling the imported package and duty paid).

Then add VAT at 17.5% (you get charged VAT on the total amount, including the delivery charges, whatever the carrier charged for handling and the import duty- yes, they tax your tax!)

That should get you pretty close, but it's a minefield and it still might not be right ... have a look at http://www.ukimports.org/how_to_calculate_uk_import_duty_vat.html

Having looked at The Blug I would suggest that if you order one get them to send it via FedEx.

FedEx tend to add in the handling charges at the start so unlike to Post Office you don't get it added on at the end.

Also for "small" items I have found that quite often FedEx deliver and that is the end of it. Not sure if they have some agreement with HMRC for a threshold at which to charge duty but equally I didn't ask either.

Even with duty it looks like $50+$10 shipping, say $65 max. So this is about £40 and at 17.5% you would pay in the region of £7 duty making about £47. If it is worth that then give it a go, but avoid the post office.

You could also consider the Hotech laser collimator available from FLO. It is very good and no extra taxes.

Yes, but this device is a proprietory one for going a step further in laser collimation. Barlowed laser collimation is something you can improvise reasonably easily with a standard laser but this gadget looks good to me.

Olly

Thanks guys, It really is a bitter taste when you think you'll get something for such a price and then a letter comes saying you owe them an extra x amount. Grrrrggghhhh!

I had a play with my current barlow collimation setup last night and might have improved it a bit but I'm still looking at the reflection of the secondary in the primary to see were the donut reflection is in relation to the lazer! Long sentence and it's not as clear as it would be if I was looking at the blug outside the focuser.

Aye well do I have the cash and the will?

Thanks again

Brian

One thing to always be aware of is that the US prices are before tax. They advertise and sell at say $50 then add whatever state taxes are applicable. So the actual price even if you were in the US would be 10-15% more then the price you see.

Basically you would not get whatever at the price you see even if you walked into the shop/outlet over there. So their "price" is a little misleading.

Yes, but this device is a proprietory one for going a step further in laser collimation. Barlowed laser collimation is something you can improvise reasonably easily with a standard laser but this gadget looks good to me.

Olly

No reason why you can't barlow the Hotech.

I bought a Glatter and blug last year. If you email Howie Glatter, he will reduce the value on the shipping ticket to round about £100. I think I had £8 something import VAT to pay.

Archived