The next time I see my scope will be in.....

sgazer

Melbourne!!

Yup, I went ahead and packed all my kit away today. With the endless cloud and all the rain, plus the lack of darkness now, I decided it was time to pack it all away ready for my move to Oz at the end of August, with my family.

I'm a bit sad really, a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd try out my most favourite targets; M57 and M27, which are the one's I got hooked on imaging with, but they didn't turn out as good as I'd hoped due to focusing issues (twice!) and I won't really be able to get them downunder as they'll be low on the horizon.

It seems strange that the next time I'll see my kit will be on the other side of the world!

Still, I have kept a sneaky little grab and go setup unpacked to take in my suitcase with me, as my family and I will be spending a month in Japan before Melbourne, then it will be a few weeks before our belongings arrive in Oz.

So basically I 'only' have a modified Canon 1000d with 18-55mm and 55-250mm lenses, with Skyglow/UHC filters, on a Celestron SLT goto ALT/AZ mount to use. I hope to have a few more wider field imaging sessions whilst still in the UK and then sample the delights of the Japanese skies before moving on to Oz. It seems a long way off, but the months since Xmas have flown by, so it will soon come up. Lots of organising to do before then.

I will of course keep logging on to SGL from where-ever!:D

ps, everyone in the Midlands at least, can thank me for the clear night tonight, as I've packed up my main kit today! :D

Well, being Summer here, and the skies barely get dark enough for DSO's now, It's just as well preparing your gear for the trip.

Make sure it is all securely packed, and immune to the potential dangers from the baggage handlers :D. Nah!, don't worry, it will all be fine, and good as new when you get unpacked at the other end of the world. That month in Japan sounds wonderful, and I envy you..

You may well miss your favourite sky objects in the Northern Hemisphere, but there is some wonderful objects down under to take their place, so enjoy them, and reports of your observations will be welcome on SGL.

I know all the guys and gals here will wish you and your family every happiness in your new home, and you make many new friends down there. Oz. is a friendly country, so that is sure to happen.

All the best.

Ron.:D

thanks Ron, that's great. Yes, I'm really looking forward to the wonders of the Southern skies, there are some crackers down there. Hopefully there might be just one or two more clear nights there as well, compared with here (fingers crossed), although Melbourne's weather is still a bit variable.

I am not jealous...

I am not jealous...

I am not jealous...

I am not jealous...

I am not jealous...

No it doesnt work no matter how many times I say it I can't convince myself...

All the best for the move and dont forget to share those Southern Gems with us ...

Peter...

Archived