Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cunning plan - will it work?

adamsp123

Now I have an obsy, info and photos will appear in the relevent section of this forum later, I am thinking of the following set up and would like observations/comments from you illustrious people.

Using an ADM dual mounting bar I will use my SW120ED with Atik 383L+ and on a WO 72 FD my modded canon 1000D. Taking images with both cameras at the same time, then using the colour from the canon and combining it with Luminance data from the Atik I hope to get some decent images.

Bolted between these 2 scopes I will fit a WO66 as a guidescope, there is room!

Of course for large extended nebula I can swap the cameras around on the various scopes.

Does this sound reasonable or totally daft?

Pete

It strikes me that the only real problem might be getting one computer to handle the data from 3 cameras (Atik, DSLR and guide camera) simulateously + guiding your scope. I guess it will depend on the speed of your computer and the software used.

It strikes me that the only real problem might be getting one computer to handle the data from 3 cameras (Atik, DSLR and guide camera) simulateously + guiding your scope. I guess it will depend on the speed of your computer and the software used.

This is a concern I have, so far the PC can handle guiding and the EOS timer utility for my Canon DSLR and I would expect adding the timer routine for the Atik will not stress the PC too much, but I will set the sub frame downloads from each camera to not overlap each other, first clear night, I am still waiting, will tell all - as well as showing if the two imaging scopes are aligned or not!

Have you tried doing a dummy run indoors?

Actually no never thought of that! I could give it a try if the weather doesn't improve but it is looking good for next week, plus I also want to get the focusing and scope alingment sorted all in one.

As regards the picture quality I'd say this;

-the idea is possible. You'll need Registar to do the combining and sorting out of curvature variations etc. I think.

-you'll need strong colour signal or the CCD luminance will wash it out.

-DSLR colour is not always that good in two areas, the stars themselves which often look rather white to me, and faint background sky colour which they don't seem to pick up.

- It might be worth trying to add the CCD luminance to the DSLR RGB by opening the RGB in Lab Colour mode and applying the Luminance a little at at a time to the Lab lightness channel.

It will be interesting to see how you get on. I have combined mono and OSC data both using full colour from both and luminance only from the mono. It works. I've also used RGB taken at 450mm with luminance taken at 950mm. The result is not as good as the full monty at 950 but is not at all bad.

My fantasy is to get a fast (f4 or 5) scope with a focal length a little less that of our TEC140 and take the colour in that while shooting luminance in the TEC...

Olly

Thanks for the input Olly, I have found that I need to mount the WO72 on ADM rings that I have to align the 72 and 120 as they are too far adrift when clamped directly onto the dual mounting bar.

I will give it a go and see if I can get any useful images, but I feel I will need to get a filter wheel and LRGB filters at some point.

Thanks for the input Olly, I have found that I need to mount the WO72 on ADM rings that I have to align the 72 and 120 as they are too far adrift when clamped directly onto the dual mounting bar.

I will give it a go and see if I can get any useful images, but I feel I will need to get a filter wheel and LRGB filters at some point.

I would, certainly. You could always combine new CCD RGB with older DSLR RGB as well.

Olly

I will try registar out, after TJ did an excellent workshop at SGL5 on this product, I will definately get it.

Latest on the idea....well I have abandoned it for now, guiding was pants, too many cables and trying to balance the set up was a big problem etc etc.

I set up with only the 120ED, Atik and the trusty finder guider, much much better all round.

I think it will be save pennies get filter wheel and filters ASAP, then use the very nice canon for star parties and any general OSC work, although I may try the DSLR on the 120ED and do a merge with Atik data just to see how it pans out.

Hello Peter.

I've been using a dual scope/camera imaging rig for a while now and can confirm it works fine.

I use 1 scope for luminance and another shooting RGB through filters.

Registar does the rescaling.

I have 2 laptops to handle the rigs.

The only slight issue you'll get is that if your RGB data isn't as high resolution as the Luminance, thge stars can look a little bloated, but not badly, and it looks quite nice IMHO :)

On a practical level....watch out for differential flexure between the 2 imaging rigs and the guidescope....bolt everything dwn as tight as it'll go.

Cheers

Rob

part of the problem is the very short nights, so little time for debugging and at a very late hour so tiredness takes its toll on my resolve/patience.

Tell me about it :)....

I have got a few things to sort out but short hot nights being eaten alive isn't the best time to do them...

Peter...

Archived