548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

Synta finder Quick-Release mounting : bad seating ?

Hiya

I have a question about the ubiquitous Synta/Orion/Skywatcher/Celestron etc Finderscope quick release finder shoe and it's, shall we say "snugness of fit" ?

Now I've included some closeups below ( oh dear .. doesn't flash photography reveal dust on black things :) )

The 'foot' slides into the 'shoe' only a certain way, so much so that when I tighten the thumbscrew on the bracket, it even starts to push the foot back out again before it grips ! It looks as if it should go further in, but will not.

I'm having a love/hate thing with this 'single ring with rubber collar pivot' finder design after being used to my old bolt on twin ring type on my old scope.. it's wonderfully quick and easy to collimate, but its also far too easy to knock it out of its collar altogether, and what with this gammy foot, hmmm :D

I actually just dropped the finder whilst fitting it into it's shoe as the tightening up pushed it back out before it had gripped, it all seems a bit shakey to me... do other people suffer this 'poor fit' too and what are good courses of action to help secure the finder better ?

Thanks for any and all advice as ever :D

Dave

post-19338-133877453945_thumb.jpg

post-19338-133877453953_thumb.jpg

odd, I have several of the mounts from ScopeStuff in the US and the finder fits in easily and actually wobbles, but works fine when locked into place with the locking screw.

Cheers

PEterW

dang it, I see what you mean .... heh oh well :D

I've also only *just* spotted that it has a little cast peg at the rear to prevent it going in any further anyhow :D:rolleyes: ... has the overall feel of 'a bit of a bodge' to me, well maybe one day I'll upgrade the focusser anyhow (sounds like a pricey import from agena) .. but till then, i'll learn to live with it :)

Dave

Edited by Totnesdave

I think that they designed it for a fancier finder foot but ended up using a standard foot which sort of fits. On the standard Celestron focuser that they use on their small refractors they use a properly shaped cast base.

Here's a photo of the standard focuser showing what I mean.

John

yes I see exactly what you mean, that looks like a neat and perfect fit, quite different really, the one on the C100 is a strange mix of curves, angles and levels, even having a smaller (unused) dovetail part of the base at the front which seems intended for something else entirely, thanks for the info :D

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have no problems with the QR shoe fitting to my C100 - it seems to fit ok. Like you I have the same problem of the finder being too easy to be knocked out of collimation, in fact I really hate the fact that it's only a 2 screw one.... give me a 6 screw finder scope holder anyday!

Mark