Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I give up

Venus has proved to be a swine.

Part of the problem is that it is barely dark before it disappears behind a block of flats. Part of the problem is the air currents rising from the block of flats before it hides behind them. I have taken numerous avis with the neximager of this over the last month or so, and have finally given up. This is my best shot. Yes, I know it is awful, but I can't waste any more time on it. At least you can see that it has a phase.

Maybe in Nov/Dec when it will appear in the nice cool morning skies ...

It's not awful.

Venus is damn difficult to get. Get at it, some days will be better than others. I found that if it clears early evening, especially after a downpour (like yesterday) the seeing is MUCH better.

Venus will get steadily easier as it's angular distance from the sun increases.

Stick with it as you cannot tell when it'll be better than other.

Do not be disheartened by that image - I don't think it's that bad.

Also, try increasing the exposure slightly as well.

Cheers

Ant

I agree with Ant. Venus can be a pig to Image, for more reasons that the ones you've already mentioned. Although you are being a bit too critical of yourself. The Image is not brilliant, but it's nowhere near bad either. Be patient, you will succeed in time.

You Gotta keep going is all.:D

Ron.

Try in daylight - when it's at a reasonable altitude - 3pm with a screen to shade the scope from the sun. Venus is plenty bright enough to observe or image in full daylight, in fact it has far too much glare even in twilight ... by which time it will be low enough for the seeing to be awful, and those prismatic effects will be bad too unless you image "monochromatically".

Try in daylight - when it's at a reasonable altitude - 3pm with a screen to shade the scope from the sun. Venus is plenty bright enough to observe or image in full daylight, in fact it has far too much glare even in twilight ... by which time it will be low enough for the seeing to be awful, and those prismatic effects will be bad too unless you image "monochromatically".

Ditto :D

I got my best pics of Venus when it was still fairly light, and it was a great deal bigger see e.g. Stargazers Lounge - michael.h.f.wilkinson's Album: Planetary images. The red and blue edges can be removed using registax (RGB align, automatic estimation worked quite well for me). Conditions will get better.

Thank you all for your kind comments - I'm still not sure they are deserved - and encouragement.

If I get any clear afternoon skies [is that a squadron of pigs I hear revving-up?] before it sinks too far back towards the sun, I will give that a go.

OK, I got to the SCAG meeting nice and early to get Venus before it got dark without the building problem. TOTAL cloud cover. However, it started to clear and so set up and got this image. Venus was jumping around all over the place during the capture, so am quite pleased that Registax managed to stack 134/1200 frames. Taken at 1/10s rather than previous 1/50s.

An improvement I think ... .

Not that there isn't room for plenty more ...

Last time I imaged Venus (around 18 months ago), the exposure was around 1/600s.

Yeah, I was getting 1/90 sec @ f/28 with a deep IR pass filter, and 1/30 sec @ f/28 with the UVenus filter (which doesn't transmit much, and the sensor has very poor sensitivity in the UV). I shot lots & lots of frames (5000 in IR, 10000 in UV) and stacked 10%.

Nobody finds this game easy ....

Archived