1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Is half a scope better than none?

Hi bought a Tak TSC225,,,,,no diagonal eyepieces mount nor idea...need advice and sources to fit, and figure it out...I have the manual and for once I am going to read it.mmm......thank you

Is this your 1st scope ? - if so you have truly gone "in at the deep end" :D

I understand that these are simply fantastic scopes but I've never even seen one let alone used one so I hope that there are others who can provide some practical support when and if you need it.

Looking forward to a 1st light report :D

A mouth watering scope - What's that about 9inches? I hope you've held enough dosh back for a stable mount. I reckon you'll want at least an EQ6 under that for a "budget" mount (never looked at better mounts than that as They've always been out of my league). You could probably get away with a HEQ5 or even an EQ5/CG5 with a steel tripod) but I'd say a scope of that quality deserves better.

Did it come with rings? You might struggle to source the right size tube rings otherwise.

Stick with decent brands for the diagonal and you should be fine (eg William Optics, Televue).

It should be quite tolerant of eyepieces at that focal length but that's not to say you'll get the best views from cheapies. If you are impulsive enough to buy that scope without mount (for a 1st scope?!?!?!?!) then I can see a set of Televues or Pentaxes coming your way.

Have fun!

Edited by haitch

I've never seen one and due to thier rarity, never likely to !

One or two things I have gleaned over the years is..... it should come with a dovetail so rings are not needed. Focus can be tight with a 2" diagonal unless it's a low profile type. The cooling port has a filter so check it's still in one piece and clean. The finder scope can be used as a handle ( I wouldn't ). The EQ6 will take it. The obstruction is smaller than usual so " should " give more contrasty views. Celestron reducers can be modified to fit. It can be taken apart for primary collimation I seem to remember. Anything else....

Oh yes, take it to a starparty and a queue is likely to form. Me first please,

Dave.

PS. Did you buy it in the Stoke area ?

Edited by davew

If it has a dovetail, it should indeed be easy to fit. WO do a very good 2" diagonal (as do several others) which can be had in special SCT versions, i.e. they screw directly onto a Celestron/Meade rear thread. If the Celestron reducer can be made to fit, maybe these diagonals can also be adapted. On a scope like this I would really try to get a 2" diagonal, this gives WAY bigger fields of view afforded by 2" eye pieces, and generally performs better even on 1.25" types.

Hi bought a Tak TSC225,,,,,no diagonal eyepieces mount nor idea...need advice and sources to fit, and figure it out...I have the manual and for once I am going to read it.mmm......thank you

How much did you pay for the scope j4a24

kris h :D

Congratulations!

There'll be a few people on the Tak Tech Groups drooling over your purchase. It's reputation goes before it ... a super visual scope which should also be great at planetary imaging. At F/12 or so, it will be less competent though with DSO imaging. Does it already have the Tak finderscope?

So far as diagonals etc are concerned, you ought to find a System Chart in the manual which will describe the various Tak accessories which are suitable.

Steve

Thank you one and all, yes my first scope but aged 8 was given a book, full of images of the cosmos.... fast forward 49 years... , if you are going to dive in then the deep end would seem to be the sensible choice , at least you avoid concussion... Price? if you want to know then send private .message.....life is short:you only figure that out when most of it has gone.rage,....do not go gentle into the good night.... rage against the dying of the light ....