Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark sites in UK

adam88

Evening all,

As i am growing tired of the organge glow that ruins my sky i am planning a trip to a truly dark site (I.e. L.V Mag ~6). I know there are a number of places in Wales, the SW, Scotland etc which will meet these requirements. Could any one recommend any campsites they have been to which were astronomy freindly, including flatish horizons?

Many thanks,

Adam

Seems you are in Plymouth, try dartmoor.

Used to live up the A386 just below Yelverton, basically just past the golf club before Yelverton is a road in on the left and I recall a parking area. The road leads to, or is signposted, Crapstone.

The whole area to the right after you enter is flat and dark, some of the best sights I ever had of the milky way was there and that was simply by looking up.

It is indeed an old airfield, large expanse of very flat moorland and concrete, easy to park and setup, nearest light will be from nearby Yelverton, while Crapstone is a little way away through trees. Plymouth is a rather large glow on the southern horizon, about 5 miles distant. My first decent view of the milky way was from just south of there. I used to live in Tavistock till quite recently, and some other good spots are Whitchurch Down, just to the east of that town, and if you drive out of Tavistock up onto the moor along the Princetown road, just as you hit the high moor at Pork Hill car park you have panoramic views from considerable altitude, particularly of the south and west horizons, and its blumming dark up there indeed ... I speak from experience !

Dark skies :D

Dave

Thanks for all the replies guys! I have had some good nights in Dartmoor however as i have now finished university i will be returning home near Portsmouth. I think national parks are a good bet in general and will try and visit a few over the summer i think!

I know of a campsite in Devon, just North outside of Combe Martin on the road to Ilfracombe. Its kind of on a hill but the hill is on the edge of the coast so you have pretty flat horizons to the North and East. The sky on a clear night gives spectacular views.

Otherwise try somewhere in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland, they have pretty much the least light pollution in the whole country. If you want to do a B&B then I'd recommend this place:

Galloway Astronomy Centre

I would recommend the Brecon Beacons aswell, make sure your well North of Merthyr Tydfil though.

Would also go for somewhere in the North York Moors, the nearest built up areas being York or Middlesbrough, both of which from the centre of the moors are about 30 miles away.

Archived