Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

"Does Everyone Have an 8" Dob?"

Beulah

Which aperture telescopes do you own?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Which aperture telescopes do you own?

• 3"
    • 4"
    • 5"
    • 6"
    • 8"
    • 10"
    • 12"
    • 14"
    • 16"
    • 16" +

This was the question asked by an SGL forum member recently on another thread, which inspired me to start this one.

Which aperture telescopes do you own? :D

I have made a poll - based on aperture, not brand. Just for fun. :)

8" Dob owner here. :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shouldn't we be metric. This is the 21st Century, after all.

Sorry, one of my pet hobby horses. I have voted, though!

Nowt wrong with inches though :D

Its very interesting how we interchange these kind of dimesions in our every day lifew, with Gallons of petrol and a 2000cc car engine

11". And 4.3". And 3.1". And 2.4" (2 of). And 1.6" (PST CaK). The three smallest scopes are all dedicated solar scopes. Also 10x50, 6.5x32 & 4x20 binoculars. Used to have an 8" SCT, funnily enough I've never owned a 8" Dob ....

My 8" is also SCT. :D I agree with Luke regarding use of metric, it's more precise with smaller aperture. My 80ST is between 3" and 4", but since it's closer to 3" i placed it there. The 90mm ETX is also between 3" and 4", but closer to 4" so i placed it there. My 120 is between 4" and 5", but is closer to 5" so was placed there.

Nowt wrong with inches though :D

Its very interesting how we interchange these kind of dimesions in our every day lifew, with Gallons of petrol and a 2000cc car engine

I've voted - 10" newtonian, focal length = 1200mm :D

Just as well we don't still use imperial for eyepiece focal lengths though ......

Nowt wrong with inches though

I thought that would provoke a reaction!

Surely I'm not the only 50 year-old who finds imperial measurements arcane and backward?

Just as well we don't still use imperial for eyepiece focal lengths though ......

Why? So long as you measure the focal length of eyepiece & objective in the same units, it doesn't matter what the unit is ... millimetres, inches, feet, miles, parsecs.... :D

I thought that would provoke a reaction!

Surely I'm not the only 50 year-old who finds imperial measurements arcane and backward?

Without thinking about it how tall are you and how heavy...

i bet you didn't think in meters or kilograms :D

I voted in inches because that's what the apertures are, because I'm English and that's what I was taught, and cos I don't like being dictated to as if I live in some foreign country lol. :D

Hear hear :) this is England, be proud of your heritage!

10" dob :D

Archived