SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ok flockin finished,few pics.

I have just about finished the flocking and painting of all the shiny bits inside. I think that went fairly well but I admit that my lining up was off and so the roll of flocking sort went a bit skew, one end was higher than the other. I overlapped on the top section so it looks alright and is flush with the top of the tube.

At the base of the tube, one end of the roll is higher up the tube then the other but I have compensated by painting the entire inner of the tube with blackboard matt paint which I have used to paint over all the nuts and bolts.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok now I am slightly worried, the blackboard paint seems to flake off easily when touched even after two coats and it states on the back of the in that it is water based!!!

This means I now have to strip the paint from all the bits I have painted which are: the secondary assembly, the focuser and the bottom bit of the tube that wasn't flocked and then repaint in something else, anyone got any suggestions for an alternative paint?

The best ultra matt black paint you can buy is Krylon Camouflage Paint - Black 4290 Spray. Unfortunately it's now being discontinued. The only place that I could find with some in stock is this one in Ireland. http://www.airsofteire.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=89&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=656&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

It's probably going to be easier to find it in the US, but then there is the shipping problem as most places won't ship by air but only by surface mail.

John

I'm thinking now I keep the paint on the components for now, it doesn't look too delicate as I can rub a wet finger over it a few times and nothing happens, it is dew I am worried about because after drying out I store the scope vertical so any resulting flakes might fall onto the primary.

Maybe in a week or two when I can afford it, I could buy another sheet of flocking and finish off the bottom length of tube and the spider. Not sure what to do for the other little screws and such apart from buying that paint you suggested John which again I cannot afford for a few weeks. I there anything to make the paint I bought bind better to the surface as every time I put a screw through the holes in the tube the paint rubs off???

Rub the surface with sandpaper to roughen the surface and then use paint thinners or cleaner to clean the surface before painting.

You might consider using something like Hamerite to blacken the metal first then use the flat paint.

John

Archived