Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy degree with UCLAN: has anyone done it or doing it?

Rosanella

I'm just finishing a Physics course at Birbeck College and might do a bit more experimental Physics with the OU in the Summer, the 10 credit point SX207.

But while reading May 2010 of Sky @ Night magazine I've stumbled across a page advertising the distance learning BSc (Hons) with University of Central Lancashire.

I have a Certificate in Maths with OU and the 24 credit Cert Introduction to Austronomy with Liverpool Jhon Moores University so migh be able to skip the introductory requirements :D

Is anyone studying or has studied with UCLAN by distance learning? What is is like? Are the modules relentless in the amount of work that one must do (like at the OU)?

Their prices seem reasonable, though.

Hi Rosanella

I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I'm in a similar position to you. I'm currently studying S282 Astronomy with the Open University and I'm thinking of signing up for an UCLAN distance learning module, possibly the introductory Cosmology one. I'd really like to hear from anybody who's studied with UCLAN on a distance learning basis, and get some independent feedback.

So, if there's anybody out there who's studied with UCLAN, please tell us!

Jed

Hi Rosanella, I've done several UCLAN courses, the Introduction to Astronomy, Cosmology, History of Astronomy and Sun and Earth Climate. They are sensitively thought out and run. Help is friendly and available. I would say they were rigorous but not relentless. As an English teacher for a quarter of a century I thought a great deal about how best to teach and I was very impressed by the pedagogical thinking behind the UCLAN courses. They really are a bargain, too. I also enjoyed courses run by Jodrell Bank and Liverpool John Moore's in the same consortium. Radio astronomy did get rather difficult, though, so be warned!

Olly

Hi Rosanella, I've done several UCLAN courses, the Introduction to Astronomy, Cosmology, History of Astronomy and Sun and Earth Climate. They are sensitively thought out and run. Help is friendly and available. I would say they were rigorous but not relentless. As an English teacher for a quarter of a century I thought a great deal about how best to teach and I was very impressed by the pedagogical thinking behind the UCLAN courses. They really are a bargain, too. I also enjoyed courses run by Jodrell Bank and Liverpool John Moore's in the same consortium. Radio astronomy did get rather difficult, though, so be warned!

Olly

Thank you for that :) I like the 'not relentless' bit. And I did notice their very affordable prices :icon_scratch:

I did not know about Jodrell Bank's courses. I listen to some of their podcasts every now and again.

Hi Rosanella

I'm afraid I can't answer your question because I'm in a similar position to you. I'm currently studying S282 Astronomy with the Open University ....

Jed

What is S282 like?

I've registered for OU SXR207 Physics by Experiment (1 week of residential school at Durham University - I've never been there). I wanted to do a bit more Physics after 1 year Physics with Birbeck (as part of the CertHi in Physics & Maths; I sat for the exam a couple of weeks ago and will complete the CertHi doing the Maths part next September).

Jodrell Bank no longer offer distance learning courses for the degree that UCLAn and Liverpool are partners in. Check their link on the Astronomy by Distance Learning site.

Manchester used to be part of the partnership but they have also appeared to withdraw from it. The Manchester options looked quite good as I recall. So you are now down to what is offered by UCLAn and Liverpool only, the Liverpool offerings are numerous but appear to be "first" year only offerings.

What about the Birkbeck Planetery Science and Astronomy option? Or any other London university?

Hi Rosanella

Re: What is S282 like?

This is the first Astronomy course I've done so I can't really compare it to others, but I think it's pretty good. It's not too specialized, quite broad & touches on all the major areas of Astronomy/Cosmology. I haven't found the Maths too much of a problem yet, although having more background knowledge of Physics would have helped. It's supposed to take 8 hours study time a week but you could spend a lot more than that on it if you really wanted to get the most out of it. The textbooks which come with the course materials are excellent. It's certainly encouraged me to try some further study.

Hope that's helpful.

Jed.

Hi,

The best course I did was SXR208 (Observing the Universe in Mallorca) the OU are running it for the last time next year & I would do it again tomorrow if I had the money!

It's nightly telescope & lab projects - asteroid light curves, spectroscopy, stellar photometryetc - lots of maths at 4am but it's fine. Knackering but Brilliant!!

I did S283, the partner course to S282, Planetary science & the search for life, a little too much basic biology for me but I enjoyed the first book more: An introduction to the solar system: looking at the solar system, solar system bodies, meteorites, asteroids and comets, giant gas planets and planetary processes; impact cratering and volcanism and space missions.

Hope you find a course you really enjoy.

All the best

Claire

What about the Birkbeck Planetery Science and Astronomy option? Or any other London university?

Thank you for that :mad:

I did look at Birbeck's course features but it did not appeal much.

Hi Rosanella

Re: What is S282 like?....It's not too specialized, quite broad & touches on all the major areas of Astronomy/Cosmology. I haven't found the Maths too much of a problem yet, although having more background knowledge of Physics would have helped. It's supposed to take 8 hours study time a week but you could spend a lot more than that on it if you really wanted to get the most out of it. The textbooks which come with the course materials are excellent. It's certainly encouraged me to try some further study.

Hope that's helpful.

Jed.

When the website says that it takes 8 hours study time a week, I always add an extra 4 or 6 :)

I have some Physics (and Maths) under my belt so that should be ok. It sounds interesting. Thank you for that :)

Hi,

The best course I did was SXR208 (Observing the Universe in Mallorca) the OU are running it for the last time next year & I would do it again tomorrow if I had the money!

It's nightly telescope & lab projects - asteroid light curves, spectroscopy, stellar photometryetc - lots of maths at 4am but it's fine. Knackering but Brilliant!!

Hope you find a course you really enjoy.

All the best

Claire

Maths at 4am? Oh gosh! :icon_scratch: I've heard good stories about SXR208 and it looks like I'll have to rush to get it done by next year.

>Hope you find a course you really enjoy.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Hi Rosanella, Did you pick a course? I did four modules on the UCLAN distance learning course and can recommend it. Although if, like me you just want the information without needing the qualifications check out the reading list for the modules, the text books may be enough on their own. For instance:

Study Astronomy

Let us know if you picked a course in the end. :)

Hello Grembo :)

Sorry for late reply but I was at residential school with OU for SXR207 (Physics by experiment), then procrastinated for a week with TMA and now trying to finish TMA by end of the week (gosh! I really need a proper holiday now :D)

After giving it a a lot of thought, I've decided to finish off what I started with the OU, but that will mean getting books earlier on, read through before course begins and TMA begin rolling in. I'm going to do a bit more Maths with Birbeck from September till June to iron out the 'blind spots', then start S282 Astronomy in February, then back with Physics in October 2011. Since I've already done Intro to Astronomy with LJMU and some Physics at Birbeck, I think I should be able to handle the workload of OU.

I guess it's going to take me a little longer than expected to complete the BSc, but I'd rather do that than 'not have a life' to study subjects I'm passionate about :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm due to start the UCLAN introduction to astronomy course next month I believe, I'm looking forward to that and my Wife is doing the Astrobiology one as well.

Maybe if all goes well I will follow up with some more courses next year.

• 2 years later...

Hey , i'm doing astronomy as well this sem and i need help in one of my assignment , are you able to help me out ? i appreciate it

this is my email , please email me

miad98.hedayati98@gmail.com

Archived