M51 L-Ha/R-G-b

MikeD

Hi All.

I had a tough time getting the colour for this with only around three hours of dark skies a night when it is clear.

The image was taken with my HX916 CCD and 10" newt.#

L = 55 @ 5 min's

Ha = 22 @ 5 min's

RGB = 22 @ 5 mins (each)

Around 12 hours in total over seven nights.

Mike.

yfronto-albums-mike-deegan-s-yfronto-s-images-picture5240-m51lhargb3-copy.jpg

Really, really nice capture, I've been waiting for you to complete this image for a while now, well actually I've been to Japan and back :-). As good as the image is you must have the patience of a saint, I can't image imaging a target for 12 hours...WOW

To me that about a month...I know is it 2 weeks since you had the Luminescence finished. Anyway its a great result.

Thanks all for the very kind comments, they are very much appreciated.:D

a lovely pic Mike! I just photographed my first M51....i'm a newbee (see album), but something tells me that an image of this quality will always be beyond my reach.

Bob that is a fine first effort.:D

Don't be so sure that you will not equal or even surpass my image, have a look at my first M51 from 2005 taken with a SAC8 (webcam based CCD);)

Mike.

post-13376-133877453155_thumb.jpg

Quite superb, well done. As Rob said, the Ha is introduced seamlessly. Lovely resolution.

I think OO might like a copy of that one. Nothing wrong with the scope that captured that!

My only thought is that there might be a touch more blue to be had? But who cares, that is a really classy pcture.

Olly

I think OO might like a copy of that one.

My only thought is that there might be a touch more blue to be had? But who cares, that is a really classy pcture.

Olly

who's OO?

Re the colour, I am sure I will be playing with the data again.:D

Mike.

Woops, sorry Mike! I thought your Newt was an Orion Optics (Sorry Skywatcher, too.)

The image scale and resolution look as if they have come from a scope costing thousands. It makes me wonder why more of us don't go for a setup like yours. Mind you, imaging with a big Newt has complications of which you seem to have made light work, as usual.

If ever you wrote a piece on getting the best out of an imaging Newtonian I'd be the first to click on it...

Olly

Archived