Synscan on my Skywatcher Dobsonian 200p

Hi All,

have been trying to use a Synscan on my Skywatcher Skyliner collapsable 200p auto (Dobsonian) so I got a SKY-WATCHER SYNSCAN V.3 UPDATABLE HANDSET and connected it with the cable described on a related post, RJ12-RJ45 and it worked fine for about 10min. As I was doing the alinement setup the response started to slow as I was using the direction keys then the power suddenly went from the handset. So I unplugged it and turned the power off and on but then the handset displayed no connection (standalone). I tried putting my original handset that came with the scope (Track only) back in and it had power as a number of the keys are flashing (Guide, Set & Go) but it didn't move the scope! Have I damaged it by connecting the SKY-WATCHER SYNSCAN V.3 UPDATABLE HANDSET?! At the time I was using a AC adaptor (Input: 230V-50hZ Output: DC12V 350mA) and I have used spare AC adaptors which had the same result.

I can come to terms with not using my new handset and going without goto! but would anyone know if I could have damaged the motor or could I get a replacement for the handset that came with my telescope to solve the problem? Or has anyone experienced the same thing? I guess this teaches me for fiddling and trying to make my scope better!! Doh! Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Is it a cable that you made up yourself? It certainly sounds as if the problem is in the circuit board in the mount. Possibly caused by the re-wired cable.

Is it a brand new EQ HC or a used one. Just wondering if all the EQ HCs are actually identical or if there have been any hardware changes that could cause a problem for anyone changing the cable?

Hopefully it's something as simple as an incorrect power supply though.

John

Hi Peter,

I got the telescope second hand and thats the AC adaptor that came with it and has been working fine until I used the Synscan handset. I will look at the one you suggested and get a replacement. Thanks.

Hi John,

Its a got it off ebay and it said new but could have been used! I got the cable made at a shop following the instructions shown in this post:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/100609-synscan-alt-az-cable.html

If I have damaged the circuit board in the mount is that something that can be replaced or am I looking at a new mount all together?

Paul

I'm just guessing that there might be any differences in the EQ HC. Perhaps someone knows if there could be or if in fact they are all identical. I think though it's most likely that the cable is the cause of the problem.

I'd try asking here on SGL to see if there's someone who could test it properly and see if it is the circuit board. Failing that could try contacting Opticalvision and see if you could ship the base back to them for a non-warranty repair.

John

It more likely to be the AC adapter. I was thinking that the adapter was overloaded and gave more than 15v to the mcb and fried it. The mcb can be replaced but I don't know how much they cost. You can also check to see if the Synscan handset still works by plugging a regulated 12v adapter into it, it should then try to initialise.

Peter

Hi Paul,

I've PM'd you on this problem. Sounds like you've definatley fried the mount pcb. As you bought it second hand you'll need to get a new pcb or buy a new mount. As Cornelius mentioned it is quite possible your power supply did not have the guts to supply the handset and mount. Always use a regulated power supply. Did you flash the handet firmware into AltAz mode?

Archived