Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is your favourite high power eyepice ?

dweller25

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without a doubt, my TV Radian 8mm: very sharp, plenty of eye relief, good field of view. Really grew to dislike my earlier plossl, and volcano-top orthos at these short focal lengths. Rather liked my Vixen LV 9mm, the 7mm less so (both departed now I have the Radian (Getting the 10mm as well)).

Up til now i have found my 9mm EP (Celestron Eyeopener Kit Plossl) pretty good on planets. Last week i bought a 4mm Celestron Omni Plossl...........(it cost me about a third of what the whole EP kit cost me). The 9mm was fine but i just wanted a bit more umph!!!.

Its been cloudy for a couple of weeks now so i have not tried my new EP on planets, although today when the new EP arrived i did a daylight test of it with my 130P scope and to my sheer joy i could actually see into it and see something in it. I was really pretty impressed with the image. It was bright and sharp. The view through my old 4mm was dull and blurred (thankfully it died soon after i bought it) and i had a lot of trouble even just seeing into it.

Theres something different with the Omni................i can quite happily observe through it. Which is great because i bought it with planets in mind.

I guess you get what you pay for. Cant wait to see Jupiter with the new EP. I may even have a go with my TAL 2X.

I've had quite a few planetary eyepieces down the years (Nagler, Pentax XL, XF, TV Plossls, UO and Baader Orthos) but i really love my cheapo Skywatcher 6mm 66deg. Cost me £16 from Andrew and it's been brilliant. Added an 8mm TMB Planetary now. If a 9mm Skywatcher 66 comes up i will grab it in a flash.

I've really tried my best to get on with the Orthos. I buy them, sell them, re-buy them and re-sell them etc etc. But no, i've gotta call it a day.....i just cannot get on with them.

Thanks for the responses.

I keep thinking of buying a 12mm Radian or 13mm Nagler to use with the x2.8 Klee, does anyone have any experience of Barlowing these two eyepieces - I'm concerned about kidney beaning.

The 16mm T6 i had two years ago was happy to be barlowed with the Ultima. Gave good results and the blackout wasn't too bad. Eye position was more critical than without the barlow, i find this with the UWAN 16mm that i have now.

I don't have one! I actually bought the three 1.25" eyepieces (see my signature) and the Powermate as these give me a good range with the 24mm becoming 9.6mm, the 18mm becoming 7.2mm and the 14mm becoming 5.6mm. Of this mix I prefer the 24mm and the 18mm 'powermated' for planets as the 14mm at 5.6mm is sometimes too much for the seeing. Overall, it's the powermated 18mm Radian that's the most used for planets for my gear, a superb combination in my view although the 24mm Panoptic is also great with the powermate when the seeing is pants.

My fav high power ep is my Pentax XW 5mm. Loads of eye relief, 70 degree FOV and super crisp images. I can't wait till Jupiter gets higher in the sky. When conditions are not too steady the 8mm Ethos is my next choice just amazing truly amazing.

My fav high power ep is my Pentax XW 5mm. Loads of eye relief, 70 degree FOV and super crisp images.

Have to agree. I recently picked up the XW10, and spent ages on Saturn the other night. I've decided I "like" pentax eps, and so I am gradually upgrading my collection of eps to XWs. The 5mm is on the list.

To view the planets I use a 15mm Televue Plossl, a 12.5mm Orthoscopic and a 10.5mm TV Plossl with a Klee x2.8 barlow

I remember that very same 10.5mm Plossl with fondness. Very sharp indeed, but I remember the eye relief to be tighter than a 9mm ortho.

I use Planetary HRs, which are lovely on Planets and DSOs, but, as I have found recently, on a bright background, every speck of dust shows up. Yesterday evening, viewing the sun, I had to move around the FOV to make sure I wasn't seeing sunspots!

But so far, my very best high power views have been through (and this will come as no surprise...) my Zeiss Abbe-II orthos. I get on fine with small eye relief. 90% of eyepieces I have owned I needed to remove my glasses to view comfortably anyway, so it comes naturally.

Andrew

Having tried loads of nice high power eyepieces over the years I've become very settled with my Nagler Type 6's - I have them in 9mm, 7mm, 5mm and 3.5mm focal lengths. I've had the opportunity to try them "back to back" with some great alternatives and they have always come through really well with the benefit of the 82 degree FoV as well which is great as most of my viewing is with un-driven, alt-az mounted scopes :D

Here's a pic of them ganging up on a poor little ortho !:

post-12764-133877454566_thumb.jpg

Having tried loads of nice high power eyepieces over the years I've become very settled with my Nagler Type 6's - I have them in 9mm, 7mm, 5mm and 3.5mm focal lengths. I've had the opportunity to try them "back to back" with some great alternatives and they have always come through really well with the benefit of the 82 degree FoV as well which is great as most of my viewing is with un-driven, alt-az mounted scopes :D

QUOTE]

I've been through quite a few different eyepieces (orthos, TMB Moncentrics, Nagler 2 to 4 Zoom etc.) as well and have ended up with the 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 5mm Naglers as my high power set for lunar / planetary. Whatever the technical arguments might be pro and con they are just simply the eyepieces that I enjoy using the most for that purpose.

However the eyepiece shown below will be arriving in a couple of months time and that could change things a bit. :D

John

Here's a pic of them ganging up on a poor little ortho !:

They look wonderful John. That 7mm would fit in quite nicely with my current scopes :D

And John (in derby) - can't wait to hear about the SX 3.7 when it arrives. Should be awesome.

I've been through quite a few different eyepieces (orthos, TMB Moncentrics, Nagler 2 to 4 Zoom etc.) as well and have ended up with the 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 5mm Naglers as my high power set for lunar / planetary. Whatever the technical arguments might be pro and con they are just simply the eyepieces that I enjoy using the most for that purpose.

However the eyepiece shown below will be arriving in a couple of months time and that could change things a bit. :D

John

If you want to sell your 3.5mm when the Ethos arrives, I could well be interested:icon_biggrin:

Dave

...However the eyepiece shown below will be arriving in a couple of months time and that could change things a bit. :D

John

Yep, that might just change things a bit :)

Mind you, while I have the 13mm Ethos now, there are still times when I hanker for a 13mm Type 6 Nagler - I really liked that eyepiece :D

Had a few ep's over the years like many of us. I love my 10.5mm Reseach grade Meade ortho, just mind blowing the newts I own. Also really like the 12MM ED Explorer, both barlow really well in both my ED Shorty Plus x 2 or 3 x Vixen (Japan) lens barlow.

Now have my sights set on a TMB 6mm type II to add to my collection I think.

Rob

Archived