Banner.jpg.39bf5bb2e6bf87794d3e2a4b88f26f1b.jpg

4 satellites in 5mins!

I havn't seen a satellite since I was about 12yrs old while on holiday in north wales way back in the early 80's.

After using my celestron skymasters last night for no more than a couple of mins just scanning the sky I saw 4 in a matter of minutes in all directions. Couldnt see them without the bins though so it obviously dawned on me why I've been missing them, light pollution is pants!

I know its not big news but for me it was a great night viewing since I'm scopeless.

:D

There's certainly a lot of them flying around up there. I was out this morning and at around 01:47 I saw 3 naked-eye satellites in the sky at the same time! One was revolving, pulsing every 10 seconds or so and one in the east which gave a nice flare.

Like you said, not exactly big news, but they can make the night sky seem almost 'alive' at times, if you see what I mean.

I love tracking satellites. The most i've seen in one hour was about 20. They are more regular then the buses around here. Ive seen about 4-5 iridium flares in the last year or so totally by chance...2 within 30 seconds of each other.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Even got the wife out last night as she didnt believe you could see satellites, she was spotting them before me after a while!

I want to eyeball the ISS if possible, keep missing the darn thing it.

Paul its coming down in buckets here mate you can rest easy no spotting tonight.

Its been chucking it down ALL weekend here. I have not even bothered looking outside to look for a break in the clouds.

Got to love UK/Ireland summers.